Introduction to Appenzell Goat Breed
This is one of the popular goat breed in Appenzell region. The goat breed is native to Switzerland. The goat is named as per its origin place; the goats are from the Appenzell region of the Switzerland. This is one of the ancient breed. This is purely a milking goat, the goat is also raised for its milk production. The total population of the swiss goats in 2005 is 70,000. It might be increased thrice for now.
Characteristics of Appenzell Goat Breed:
- These Appenzell Goat Breed looks little similar to the Saanen Goat Breed.
- The size of this goat breed is small in size.
- The colour of the wool is white.
- The face colour of this goat breed is white.
- These are hornless goat breeds.
- The buck height of this goat breed is 75 – 85 cm.
- The doe’s height of this goat breed is 70 -80 cm.
- The average weight of the male goat is 65 kg.
- The average weight of the female goat is 45 kg.
- This goat is similar to the Saanen Goat Breed.
Feed for Appenzell Goat Breed:
In a successful goat farming business, the feed management plays a major role. As the feed is very important for the goats’ breeds there should be a constant ratio of feed which should be fed to the goats. Timely and scheduled wise the feed should be given to the goats. The health and also the growth of the goat completely depends upon the feed, the feed which can be fed to the goats are:
- Vitamins: The vitamins which are essential for the goat must be provided along with the main feed.
- Minerals: For goats we should offer lose minerals. The feed which are individually those should be fed; they should not be fed with blocks which are combination of minerals.
- Kitchen Scarp: The kitchen scrap like tomato ends, banana peels, orange peels, and etc. like vegetable cutting and fruit waste. These can be consumed by the goats.
- Pasturing and Browsing: As pastures contain high amount of nutrients, the goats require nutrients we should be feeding the goats with the pastures. Pastures are the main and important source of proteins and energy. These goats can be fed with millets, clover, grass, Bahia grass, clover and Sudan grass.
- Hay: The hay that can be fed to the goats is grass, legume, like clover or alfalfa.
- Grain Feed: Along with the grains the goat can be fed with added proteins, vitamins and minerals. The goats can be fed upto16 – 20% course of grains. The grains that can be fed to the goats are cereal grains, rye, moil, barley and oats.
Housing for Appenzell Goat Breed:
Housing is very important in the intensive system of production. We should ensure the facilities and also the comforts for maximum amount of profits. For their growth and products the goats need some physiological requirement same like human beings. The main motive of protecting the goats and keeping them in goat housing is to protect them from harsh animals and also from the uneven climatic conditions.
- Regularly the house should be cleaned and the floor should be dry.
- Goats waste should be collected immediately.
- The labour requirement for the housing is also less in number.
- The goats don’t require bedding.
Read: Pregnant Goat Care.
Basic requirements of the Goat Housing:
- Milk barns
- Food troughs
- Good location of housing / sheds
- Air inlet and outlet
- Proper drainage
Breeding of Appenzell Goat Breed:
The breeding of this goat breed is done with local breed and Saanen goat breed. We can find many similarities with Saanen goat breed.
Advantages of Goat Farming:
- The initial investment on the goat farming is very less.
- The goats can survive in any climatic conditions and also they can survive in cold, dust, heat and also from any sharp change.
- Goat’s milk is the best food for the children and they will be not be affected, by any germs or any other viruses.
- There are many goat breeds that can be raised in any part of the world. There are capable of giving birth twice in a year.
- Goats are one of the strongest animals, as they do not fall ill. We do not need to spend money on fitness and health of the goat.
Disadvantages of Goat Farming;
- All the farmers use the traditional method and extensive method of goat farming system method, which brings the average rate of profits. But by using the modern systems, this will give a good rate of profits to the farmer.
- The one, who is starting the goat farming business, should have a minimum knowledge of goat farming business. If there is any lack of knowledge this can lead to a loss in the goat farming business.
- If the farmer will not choose a right breed, there will be a great loss to the farming business.
- If the one who has started, the business has no experience, then we should a minimum experience in goat farming business.
- The marketing should be done well or less the farmer will be getting a loss.
- One of the toughest tasks is to take the goats for grazing.
- The goats are considered as a risk part of agriculture. The one who manages both the agriculture and goat farm will have to protect the crop from the goats.
Essential Tips of Goat Farming for Beginners:
- For improving the breed of the goats, we need to use the artificial inseminations. In commercial goat farming, artificial insemination is most preferred.
- While housing them the does, bucks and kids should be kept separately.
- The necessary medicines and vaccines should always be kept in a stock.
- To ensure the good health of the goats as per the schedule timely vaccinations should be given.
- Mating of same busk with many does should be avoided.
- As like polluted water is harmful for the human beings the goats polluted water is also harmful for the goats.
- One should always have a good relationship with the goats.
- For a few weeks, the kids that are born should be kept with their mothers.