Kalahari Red Goat Breed information:
Introduction to Kalahari Red Goat Breed: The Kalahari Red is a meat-type goat strain which originated in South Africa. The namesake comes from the Kalahari desert, which spans the borders of Botswana, South Africa, and Namibia. This semi-arid climate has contributed to Kalahari’s overall hardiness. Although guided by selective breeding, natural selection played a major role in the development of this breed. All these are particularly sun, parasite, and disease resistant livestock.
The aim would be to have a strong, quite adaptable meat goat which may survive the harsh conditions of the African landscape while still maintaining high birth rate, high survival rate, and a profitable meat carcass. Emphasis was also put on mothering traits and adaptability. The so-called Kalahari Reds were born, named after the color of the sand in the Kalahari Desert.
Their skin is fully pigmented, allowing them to forage and increase gains through the heat of the day. They will feed on a wide variety of crops for sustenance. Their parasite and disease resistance allows for significantly less vaccination inoculation than the average goat breed. This lowers costs, amount of work, and allows for increased ease of an organic enterprise.
Does (female goats) are known to be great in maternal instincts, usually with no assistance needed for parturition. They have complete and properly attached udders, and kids have powerful sucking instincts. Does (Female Kalahari) Can be bred throughout the year and can kid about three times every couple of years.
Appearance and Characteristics of Kalahari Red Goat Breed: The most distinct visual characteristic of Kalahari Red goats is their reddish coat color. White or light shades of red are not desirable, as they don’t provide as much camouflage from predators in their native pastures. They also have strong herding instincts for protection as well. Above their ears are moderately-sized, sloping horns. Their framework is similar to that of the most popular South African Boer goat. Kalahari Red goats can be used as a fantastic crossbreed to increase hardiness and carcass size. Rams should larger than does, with loose skin in the throat region.
The dominant red/brown colour of the Kalahari Reds creates the goats very suitable for crossbreeding programs to improve the color of the indigenous goats. DNA tests conducted found a fantastic genetic divide between the Kalahari Reds and other South African goat breeds.
Advantages of Kalahari Red Goat Breed:
- Low mortality and resistant to disease.
- Good mothering traits.
- Meat and pelts of high quality.
- Fertility and kid percentage.
- An abundance of milk.
The average weight for Kalahari Red Goat Breed.
|Age of the Goat:||Bucks (Male):||Does (Female):|
|100 Days||35 kg||30 kg|
|1 year||70 kg||45kg|
|2 years||85 to 90 kg||50 to55 kg|
|3 years||105 to 110 kg||65 to 70 kg|
Other Consideration of Kalahari Red Goat Breed: The Kalahari Red goat is extremely active and extremely hardy animal. They’re ideally suited to the harsh and outstretched conditions of large parts of South Africa. They are extremely adaptable and bred well in the arid and semi-arid areas. They’re excellent foragers and are often feed on a vast variety of crops, grass, and grains. They could go far in search of water and food. The Kalahari Red goats are usually resistant to diseases and parasites and require less care and direction than other goat breeds. It is possible to organically raise the Kalahari Red goat, due to the limited use of vaccines. Organically raised goats will produce lean beef with an excellent flavor and texture. The Kalahari Red does have excellent mothering instincts. They look after their kids very carefully, plus a doe generally gives birth of kids three times each two years.
Kalahari Red Goat – Benefits and Advantages if Goat farming Business: The following are advantages of goat raising.
- In hilly regions, goats can also be used for hauling light loads.
- Goats have hardly any requirements of housing and direction. They barely require different housing and happily, share their homes with their owners along with his other livestock.
- Goat farming may be profitable occupation to get a farmer and may fit nicely into mixed farming.
- Goats are more economical to maintain, easily available and also have a friendly disposition.
- They are sometimes raised in plains, hilly tracts, sandy zones and in high altitudes.
- Goats are more tolerant to warm climate compared to other farm animals.
- Goats suffer from fewer ailments than other big animals.
- Goats have got increased digestibility of crude fibre and may produce even on poor quality roughages.
- Goats are smaller in size and possess a younger slaughter age.
- Goat meat doesn’t have a religious taboo and is relished by most sections of society.
- Goat meat contains less fat and is much more in demand.
- Goats are known as the foster mom of male, as their milk is considered better for individual nutrition than other species of livestock.
- Sweet milk is inexpensive, healthy, easily digestible and nutritious.
- Goat milk is finer than cow milk i.e. the fats and proteins exist in a finer country and therefore are more easily digestible, especially for children and invalids.
- Goat milk contains lesser allergic issues compared to other species of livestock.
- Goat milk is employed as an ayurvedic medicine for personas ailing with allergies, asthma, diabetes etc….
- Goat milk contains higher buffering qualities and this enhances its significance for patients suffering from peptic ulcers, liver dysfunction, jaundice, biliary disorders and other digestive issues.
- Goat milk has a higher content of fat-soluble vitamins.
- Goats could be milked as frequently as required, preventing milk storage issues and refrigeration expenses.
- Goat hide is used for the production of leather goods.
- Goat hairs are utilized for the production of carpets and ropes.
- Pashmina shawls, Mohair and Kashmere carpets are in good need and are sold at very high prices.
- Goat manure is excellent source nitrogen and phosphoric acid when compared to cattle manure.
- Goats form a superb animal for physiological and biomedical research.
Bottom Line of Kalahari Goat Breed: The Kalahari red goat breed is an excellent option for commercial meat goat farming.