Tellicherry Goat Farming:
Introduction of Tellicherry Goat:- Tellicherry goat is an excellent breed for meat, milk and skin. These goats are mainly found in the state of Kerala and surrounding Tamil Nadu state. Pure breeds are found in the districts of Thalacherry, Kasargod, Kannur and Kozikkot in Kerala. Tellicherry goats are also known or called as Malabari, Talacherry, Telacherri, Thalacherri, Thalassery, Tellicherri, Talacheri, Thalachery and Thalacheri.
Tellicherry Goat Description:- Tellicherry goats are medium sized animals of dual utility and constitute 10-12 % of the total goat population. They do not have any uniform body colour. However, most of them found are in white colour. They have medium sized head with straight face and some goats have slightly raised face as well.
Purpose of Tellicherry Goat Farming:- These goats are raised for meat, milk and skin.
Tellicherry Goat Breed Characteristics:- The following chart shows the Tellicherry goat characteristics.
Birth weight of Tellicherry goat kid: 2.3-2.4 kg.
|Size||Tellicherry Adult Male||Tellicherry Adult Female|
|Goat Body Weight (Kg)||25-27 (1 year old)|
(Note: weight depends on age of animal).
|22-24 (1 year old)|
(Note: weight depends on age of animal).
|Goat Body Length (cm)||70||63|
|Goat Chest Girth (cm)||73||67|
Note: Tellicherry Goats when crossed with Boer Bucks yields 50 % Boer kids.
Advantages of Tellicherry Goat: – The following are the advantages of Tellicherry goat breed.
- This breed gain 20-25 KG weight within 3-4 months.
- These goats can also be fed with jack leaves and coconut oil cakes as well which can help in gaining the weight.
- This breed has high feed conversion.
- These goats are excellent, prolific breeders and suitable for cross breeding with Jamunapari and Boer goats.
- This breed will mature for kidding at 6-7 months of age.
- These goats give milk up to 2.5 litres a day.
- The lactation period of this goat is 170 days.
- The fat content in this breed milk will be thicker than other goat breeds.
- This goat breed has good skin quality and suited for leather industry.
- This goat breed gives birth to 2 – 3 kids at a time and twinning is very common.
- For best growth, co-3, co-4 and any grass fodder can be used as inputs.
- This goat breed can be adapted to most of the climatic conditions.
- Most of the goats are white coloured in this breed.
- These goats are suitable for both open grazing and stall-fed.
- These goat breeds are helpful in reducing un-employment in rural areas.
Tellicherry Goat Farming Tips:- The following tips are for Tellicherry goat farmers who just want to start a goat farm in small scale or large scale.
- Alpine Goat Farming Information Guide
- Jamunapari Goat Breed Information Guide
- Goat Housing (Shed) Information Guide
- Goat Farming In Gujarat Information For Beginners
- Dutch Landrace Goat Breed Profile, Characterstics
- Goat Farming In Kashmir Information
- Bionda Dell’adamello Goat Facts, Profile, Characteristics
- Bakri Palan (Goat Farming) For Beginners
- Kalahari Red Goat Breed information
- Goat Farming In Uttar Pradesh Information Guide
- Should prepare a proper goat farming business plan before implementing goat farming business.
- Before starting the farm, watch you tube videos and read any articles related to Tellicherry goat farming on the web.
- When you are planning for commercial Tellicherry goat farming, visit nearest farms to know ins and outs of Tellicherry goat characteristics and their management.
- Buy Tellicherry goats only from certified animal breeders and avoid buying from unknown individuals.
- Select quality Tellicherry male goats and good reproductive Tellicherry female goats for breeding
- Timely vaccinations in Tellicherry goats will reduce the mortality rate and result in great weight gain and milk production.
- Provide clean water and feed on time for proper development of goat body growth.
- Isolate the sick Tellicherry goats from the goat flock as soon as possible.
- Should act quickly with any unexpected diseases in Tellicherry goats.
- Have a proper plan of marketing Tellicherry goats. This plan should be prepared well before starting the Tellicherry goat farming.
Breeding in Tellicherry Goats:- If you are planning for commercial breeding of Tellicherry goats, it is better to consider various factors when planning the breeding cycle.
- Fodder/Feed flow and feed availability.
- Natural estrus cycle of the Tellicherry goats.
- Market cycle.
- Marketing date and personal management factors.
The reproduction rate of Tellicherry goats is one of the most beneficial characteristics for the meat producer or milk producer. Tellicherry goats are very profile breeders and usually kid twice in a year with a high rate of prolificacy. Twinning and Triplets (2 and sometimes 3 kids in one delivery) are common in Tellicherry goat reproduction cycle. There are various factors which affect the reproduction percentage of the ewes which are listed below.
- Season of breeding.
- Age of animal.
- Body mass.
- Feed and nutrition.
Mass Mating in Tellicherry Goat Farming:- One male (Buck) per 25 to 30 ewes. One should make sure that the mating the young ewes happen separately from the mature ewes.
Single Mating in Tellicherry Goat Farming:- One male (ram) per 45 to 50 ewes. With regard to the above, it is very important to keep male goats (rams) in small shady camps during hot periods with a small amount of growing supplement and Male Tellicherry goats (rams) should only be let loose among ewes during the evening. This system works particularly well in cases where goats are penned at night.
Artificial insemination in Tellicherry Goat Farming:- Well, there is an option for artificial insemination in any goat breeding. Contact local animal husbandry for more information.
Tellicherry Goat Housing:- Goat housing should be secured especially, when you are going for stall fed Tellicherry goat farming. Wooden flooring is considered best for their house. The place opted for the farming should be dry and free from any insect-pests and predators. The shed/house floor should be cleaned daily to make the goat house hygiene. Proper ventilation and airflow should be maintained for preventing any diseases. Supply of clean water to prevent from diseases is essential in Tellicherry goat farming.
- Jakhrana Goat Farming Information Guide
- Goat Farming in Saudi Arabia Information
- Altai Mountain Goat Breed Profile, Characteristics
- Goat Farming In Bihar Information and Tips
- Dera Din Panah Goat Characteristics, Facts, Profile
- Goat Farming In Haryana Information
- Goat Farming in South Africa Information
- Aspromonte Goat Facts, Profile, and Characteristics
- Goat Farming Set Up Information For Beginners
- Goat Farming In Odisha Information For Beginners
Tellicherry Goat Price:- Goat price depends on many factors like breed, age, season and region. However, commercial breeders can bargain for best price. The Tellicherry goats which are cross bred with local goats may cost less whereas pure bred goats cost more. If the goats are bought in flocks at local markets or in professional breeding centers, one can get cheaper prices.
- Female goat price in India : Rs.275/kg (live weight) (pure breed).
- Male goat price in India/kg : Rs.300/kg (live weight) (pure breed).
- Goat kids of 1 year or less age : Rs.320/Kg (live weight) (pure breed).
Bottom Line of Tellicherry Goat Farming:- Tellicherry goat is an excellent breed for commercial meat, milk and skin production. Goat farmers can get huge profits with this breed since these Tellicherry goats have excellent reproduction rate.