Surti Goat Profile:
Introduction of Surti Goat:– Surti is one of the best dairy breed found in India. The name “Surti” is derived from the place called “Surat” in the state of Gujarat. This breed population is very small when compared to other breeds. Surti goat breeds are usually distributed in surrounding areas of Surat, Baroda and Nasik of Maharashtra. Generally, this is breed is found in small flocks ranging from 4 to 15.The best part of this breed is, they can be raised under stall fed conditions as well as extensive grazing. Surti goat breed is one of the most endangered goat breeds of Indian origin.
Surti Goat Description:- The following are the characteristics of Surti goat breeds found in India.
- Surti goats are excellent dairy goats when compared to other goat breeds.
- They are most economical to rear as they can live on leaves or on food waste thus brings higher feed efficiency ratio.
- When it comes to size, they are the animals with short legs with medium size and female goats are bigger than male goats.
- When it comes to coat colour, these goats are in white. .
- The breed of this goat has very well developed udder and large conical teats.
- Generally, the male and female goat of this breed has a pair of small sized horns which are curved in backward direction.
- Long sized legs and ears. The ears are long and flat, curled and drooping.
- Usually, Surti goats give birth to one kid in a year.
- When it comes to ears, they possess medium size ears.
- Surti goats love to graze in open space as well as fits very well into stall feeding system.
- This goat breed is very much suitable to dairy goat farming business when compared to other breeds in India.
- One can grow and feed these goats with Barley, Jowar/Sorghum, Bajra, peanut grass, CO-1, CO-2 grasses or any other hybrid green grasses for quick weight gain and good milk yield. Kids are raised by their mother for their three months of age. In this period they consume their mother’s milk and some other extra foods like green grasses, leaves. Silage can be made out of these green crops and can be used in dry time.
Purpose of Surti Goat Farming:- Surti goats are raised for both milk and meat. However, they are popularly known as dairy goats. They are very well suited for commercial dairy and meat farming. The best part of these goats is kidding percentage. Goat farmers can multiply these goats in short period of time as they can give birth to twins and triplets.
Surti Goat Breed Features:- The following are some of the Surti goat body features.
|Size of the Goat (AVG)||Males (Bucks)||Females (Does)|
|Body Weight (kg)||30||32|
|Body Length (cm)||66||67|
|Chest Girth (cm)||70||70|
Performance of Surti Goat:-The following shows the milk and kidding performance of Surti goat breed.
- Milk: The breed is a good milk producer, yields on an average of 2.0 to 2.25 kg per day.
- Kidding: Usually, The age at first kidding happens varies from 400 to 450 days. Female Surti goats give a birth to twins in 50 to 60% cases. Triplets are very rare.
Surti Goat Farming Tips:- The following tips are for goat farmers who just want to start a goat farm in small scale or large scale.
- To succeed in any business, perfect plan is required. So prepare Surti goat business plan or project report that includes initial investment, transportation cost, cost of shed/house, medical expenses, vaccination schedules, feeding plan, making own feed, and marketing strategy. Don’t include land cost in case of buying land for goat farming.
- If you are planning to buy in bulk (flock), search/inquire about nearest goat breed sellers so that transportation would be easy and can get healthy goats. Select disease free and quality/strong Surti male goat and best reproductive female Surti goats for better rearing. This can be found by veterinary doctor.
- Negotiation with seller or goat breeding center is very important as this can save lots of initial investment while buying in bulk.
- Another simple tip is, don’t buy as soon as you reach goat market (adda/santa). Browse for some time and try to negotiate before the market closes. This is the time the goat sellers can dispose for minimal rate. Make them to believe that you are a real buyer.
- Always advised to take veterinary doctor with you so that diseases free and healthy goats can be selected. This makes you to avoid old goats/sick goats and can avoid medical expenses and deaths.
- Before getting goats to your farm, dis-infect the farm and clean the house floor. If any vaccinations like de-worming are advised at this stage, go for it.
- Based on whether the Surti goats are raised in stall fed /semi-stall fed or open grazing system, one can grow green fodder crops like subabul / lucerne/ maize to reduce the feed cost. As a rain fed crop, maize/corn can be grown to save the feed cost. Feed cost plays major role in final profits. If the feed is bought from outside market, the maintenance expenses will shoot up. One should have proper plan to make the feed at the farm.
- Make sure to market the Surti goats in batch wise rather selling once at a time. If these goats are raised for milk, you should have good plan to market the goat milk.
- Timely vaccinations and routine examination play major role in successful Surti goat farming.
- Separating sick animals from the flock will ensure the good health of other animals and reduce the risk of other animals getting sick.
- Prepare a proper feed plan as balanced nutrition/feed makes the goats to gain good weight in short span of time.
- Pregnant female goats and newly born kids should get more care and attention in terms of feed and health checkups.
- Clean the goat house any farm equipment like feeders/drinkers alternate days and make them dry all the time. Always provide clean water.
- In case of natural feed problem or if don’t have enough space for open grazing, make silage from green fodder crops like maize, hybrid grasses, Jowar, Bajra..Etc. so that they can be used at the time of drought period.
Surti Goat Housing:- In case of commercial production of Surti goats, they need a good housing with clean water facility. A room of 10 X 10 sq.ft will accommodate about 15 to 16 goats. Goat house can be made from the ground with wooden, bamboo or concrete poles. Try to keep the floor dry and make a proper ventilation system. Make a separate house for the male goats for breeding purpose. Do not mix animals with sick animals.
Surti Goat Price:- Generally, meat goat price varies from region to region and it will be more on special occasions. On an average, live weight of 1 kg Surti goat meat costs about 225 to 250 Indian rupees for bucks (males), 210 to 225 Indian Rupees for does (females). However, the price depends on negotiation skills and will get for cheaper when you buy in flock.
Bottom Line of Surti Goat Farming:- Decent profits are possible in Surti goat farming with proper business plan and marketing strategy. As these goats can be reared as dairy goats and meat goats, it’s an excellent option for commercial goat growers to select this breed for successful goat farming. Timely vaccinations and nutrient feed is essential for healthy goat rearing and to obtain good weight in short span of time. Goat kid care also plays major role in successful goat rearing.