Sangamneri Goat Farming:
Introduction of Sangamneri Goat:- Sangamneri breed belongs to the home tract of Ahmednagar district in Maharshtra. This goat is also distributed in surrounding districts of Pune, Solapur, Nasik and Dhule. This goat is reared mostly for commercial meat and milk production.
Purpose of Sangamneri Goat Farming:- Meat and Milk.
Sangamneri Goat Description /Conformation:- Sangamneri breed is a medium size animal with long legs. The body coat colour is predominantly white and also can be found in brown, black and spots of other colors. This breed goats have short hair and coarse with straight face. Both male and female goats have horns with backward and upward direction. These goats have short and thin tails which are kept upward. Their ears are medium size and drooping. Their udder is small, round with conical teats.
Sangamneri Goat Breed Characteristics and Performance:-
- The female Sangamneri goats will be ready for kidding at the age 400 to 420 days.
- Lactation duration of Sangamneri is around 150 to 160 days.
- Sangamneri breed milk yield per lactation is around 100 to 125 kg.
- The kidding interval is around 320 to 340 days. Single are common and can expect 30 to 30 % of twins. Sometimes triplets are possible (5%).
Goat Size (Avg) Sangamneri Male (Adult) Sangamneri Female (Adult) Body weight (kg) 35 to 60 25 to 40
Advantages of Sangamneri Goat:- The following are the advantages of Sangamneri goat breed.
- Sangamneri goats are multi-purpose breed (milk, meat & leather).
- Sangamneri breed has high feed conversion (FCR) ratio.
- The Sangamneri breed milk is a rich source for fat and protein.
- The matured Sangamneri breed goat can reach the weight of 60 kg (adult male) and 40 kg (adult female).
- This goat breed can also be fed with jack leaves and coconut oil cakes to help in gaining the weight.
- Sangamneri goat kids are strong because mothers have high milk yield.
- This Sangamneri breed will mature for first kidding at 400 to 420 days of age.
- This Sangamneri goat breed can deliver twins in 40% cases.
- For best growth milk production of Sangamneri goats, Alfalfa hay, Subabul, Lucerne, CO-3, CO-4, Barseem, Stylo, Dashrath, Hybrid Napier, African Tall, Sorghum, Molato, Gini Grass, corn silage, pellets, legumes and various types of green grasses can be used for daily fodder requirement.
- Sangamneri goats are suitable for both open grazing and stall-fed.
- Sangamneri goats can easily adapt to any kind of climatic conditions.
- Sangamneri goats are helpful in reducing unemployment in rural areas along with providing healthy and tasty milk.
Sangamneri Goat Farming Tips:- The following tips are for Sangamneri goat farmers who wants to go for a small scale or large scale commercial goat farming business.
- Should prepare a proper goat farming business plan before implementing Sangamneri goat farming business.
- For breeding purpose, select the Sangamneri goats primarily on body size.
- Before starting the farm, watch you tube videos and read any articles related to Sangamneri goat farming on the web.
- Avoid any poisonous plants/ pasture/feed in the Sangamneri goat farming.
- When you are planning for commercial Sangamneri goat farming, visit nearest farms to know ins and outs of Sangamneri goat characteristics and their management.
- Separate goat kids from adults immediately at birth and feed them pasteurized milk.
- Keep the Sangamneri goat herd separated from sheep and cattle.
- Trim hooves at least four times yearly. Brush Sangamneri goats when needed to remove loose hair and dirt that might contaminate the milk.
- Buy Sangamneri goats only from certified animal breeders and avoid buying from unknown individuals as this may bring many unhealthy animals into your farm.
- For safety, make sure to have a fence around the goat farm/house.
- Make sure the Sangamneri goat house has very good ventilation for fresh air and light.
- All Sangamneri goats should be given proper initial vaccinations before entering into your farm.
- It is advised to have a veterinary doctor to examine the Sangamneri goats on regular basis.
- Pregnant goats, newly born Sangamneri kids should be provided with minerals and nutritious feed.
- Select quality Sangamneri male goats and good reproductive Sangamneri female goats for breeding.
- Pregnant Sangamneri goats should be given special attention for healthy kidding.
- Timely vaccinations in Sangamneri goats will reduce the mortality rate and result in great weight gain and milk production.
- Clean water and timely feeding is important in Sangamneri goat farming.
- Milking machinery and equipment should be kept clean to avoid any contamination.
- Isolate the sick Sangamneri goats from the goat flock as soon as possible.
- Making home grown silage will reduce the cost of feed in Sangamneri goat farming.
- Should act quickly with any unexpected diseases in Sangamneri goats.
- Sangamneri breed goat kids should be given a special care to ensure sufficient food and milk till they attain certain age and weight.
- Milking the female Sangamneri goats twice a day is advisable especially before providing the fodder/feed.
- One should ensure better feeding and pasturing practices in Sangamneri goat farming.
- Have a proper plan of marketing Sangamneri goats. This plan should be prepared well before starting of Sangamneri goat farming.
Breeding in Sangamneri Goats:- If you are planning for commercial breeding of Sangamneri goats, it is better to consider various factors when planning the breeding cycle.
- Fodder/Feed flow and feed availability.
- Natural estrus cycle of the Sangamneri goats.
- Market cycle.
- Marketing date and personal management factors.
There are various factors which affect the reproduction percentage of the ewes which are listed below.
- Season of breeding.
- Age of Sangamneri goat.
- Body mass of Sangamneri
- Feed and nutrition.
Mass Mating in Sangamneri Goat Farming:- Find the mating ration of male and female with local animal husbandry. (In most of the goat cases, it is 1 male (buck) per 25 to 30 does). One should make sure that the mating the young ewes happen separately from the mature ewes.
Single Mating in Sangamneri Goat Farming:- Find the mating ratio of male and female with local animal husbandry (In most of the breeds, it is 1 male (buck) per 20 to 25 females (does). With regard to the above, it is very important to keep male goats in small shady camps during hot periods with a small amount of growing supplement and Male Sangamneri goats should only be let loose among ewes during the evening. This system works particularly well in cases where goats are penned at night.
Artificial insemination in Sangamneri Goat Farming:- Well, there is an option for artificial insemination in any goat breeding. For artificial insemination in Sangamneri goats, contact local animal husbandry for more information.
Sangamneri Goat Housing:- Proper goat housing is very important and should be secured when you are going for stall fed Sangamneri goat farming. Wooden flooring is considered best for their house. The place selected for farming of Sangamneri goats should be dry and free from any insect-pests and predators. The shed/house floor should be cleaned daily to make the goat house hygiene. Proper ventilation and airflow should be maintained for preventing any diseases. Supply of clean water to prevent from diseases is essential in Sangamneri goat farming.
Sangamneri Goat Price:- Goat price depends on many factors like breed, age, season and region. However, commercial breeders can bargain for best price. The Sangamneri goats which are cross bred with local goats may cost less whereas pure bred goats cost more. If the goats are bought in flocks at local markets or in professional breeding centers, one can get cheaper prices. It is advised to buy from certified breeders. The following prices may change according to area, and time.
The price of Sangamneri goat depends on weight, age and breed type (pure bread or cross bread).
- Male goat of Sangamneri cost 300-350 Rs/kg (live weight).
- Female goat cost about 275-300 Rs/kg (live weight).
Marketing of Sangamneri Goats:- A proper goat business plan should ensure the profits in goat farming. Commercial Sangamneri goat farmers should have marketing plan for bulk goat sale. Goat farmers can also sell their goats in batches based on their age, weight. Local agents, meat shop owners can be contacted for regular supply of Sangamneri goats.
Bottom Line of Sangamneri Goat Farming:- Sangamneri goats are an excellent breed for dual-purpose commercial milk and meat) production.