Saanen Goat Farming:
Introduction of Saanen Goat:- This goat breed is originated in Saanen Valley of Switzerland. The female Saanen breed is heavy milk producer. These female goats produce 4 to 4.5 liters of milk per day. The fat content in the milk is about 3-4 %.This goat breed is mainly raised for commercial milk production. They are the largest animals among all the dairy goat breeds. This goat breed is very famous breed in USA and other parts of the world due their milk production skills. The commercial goat farmers can consider this breed as these goats can adjust any environmental changes. Their care and management is very easy when compared to other goat breeds. Saanen goat milk is used in making dairy products.
Purpose of Saanen Goat Farming:- Mainly raised for dairy purpose, but it can be multi-purpose.
Saanen Goat Description:- These goats are medium to large size animals with predominant coat colour of white. However, sometimes cream coloured goats can be found. These goats have long neck with big size udder. Most of the goats won’t have horns and their ears are in upward direction. The body coat of this breed has short and fine hair. When compared to other breeds of the goats, this one has small legs. This goat breed is sensitive to excessive sunlight and heat. These goats perform well in cooler climatic conditions. When you are going for large scale, make sure to provide some kind of shade. The main advantage of this goat breed is they can adopt any kind of climatic conditions easily.
Saanen Goat Breed Characteristics and Performance:-
- The female Saanen goats will be ready for kidding at the age of 7 to 10 months.
- The gestation period of female Saanen goat ranges from 145 to 155 days
- Daily average milk production is up to 4 liters/day. At peak lactation, they may give up to 5 liters/day.
- Usually these goats may kid once in year (1 or 2 baby goats in each birth)
|Goat Size (Avg)||Saanen Male (Adult)||Saanen Female (Adult)|
|Body weight (kg)||65-80||55-65|
Advantages of Saanen Goat: – The following are the advantages of Saanen goat breed.
- Stall Fed Goat Farming Information
- Goat Buying Tips and Selection Tips
- Saanen Goat Farming Information Guide
- Goat Farming in Tamil Nadu For Beginners
- Anglo Nubian Goat Farming Information
- Sirohi Goat Breed Profile Information Guide
- Goat Farming In Chhattisgarh Information
- Goat Farming Training in India Information
- Jakhrana Goat Farming Information Guide
- Commercial Goat Farming Information Guide
- Saanen goat is a dairy purpose breed (milk). However can be used as multi-purpose breed.
- Saanen goat breed has high feed conversion (FCR) ratio.
- Fat content and proteins are good in Saanen goat milk. Fat is about 3-4% and protein is about 2.9%.
- The matured Saanen goat can reach the weight of 80 kg (adult male) and 65 kg (adult female).
- This goat breed can also be fed with jack leaves and coconut oil cakes to help in gaining the weight.
- This Saanen breed will mature for first kidding at 18 months of age.
- The Saanen female goats give milk up to 4 liters/ day (At peak lactation, they may give up to 5 liters/day).
- The lactation period of Saanen goats is 180-200 days.
- This Saanen goat breed gives 2 kids at a time. Sometimes you may expect triplets as well.
- For best growth milk production of Saanen goats, Alfalfa hay, Subabul, Lucerne, CO-3, CO-4, Barseem, Stylo, Dashrath, Hybrid Napier, African Tall, Sorghum, Molato, Gini Grass, corn silage, pellets, legumes and various types of green grasses can be used for daily fodder requirement.
- These goats are suitable for both open grazing and stall-fed.
- Saanen goats can easily adapt to any kind of weather.
- These goat breeds are helpful in reducing un-employment in rural areas.
Saanen Goat Farming Tips: – The following tips are for Saanen goat farmers who wants to go for a small scale or large scale commercial goat farming business.
- Should prepare a proper goat farming business plan before implementing Saanen goat farming business.
- Before starting the farm, watch you tube videos and read any articles related to Saanen goat farming on the web.
- When you are planning for commercial Saanen goat farming, visit nearest farms to know ins and outs of Saanen goat characteristics and their management.
- Separate goat kids from adults immediately at birth and feed them pasteurized milk.
- Keep the Saanen goat herd separated from sheep and cattle.
- Trim hooves at least four times yearly. Brush Saanen goats when needed to remove loose hair and dirt that might contaminate the milk.
- Buy Saanen goats only from certified animal breeders and avoid buying from unknown individuals as this may bring many unhealthy animals into your farm.
- For safety precaution, make sure to have a fence around the farm/house.
- Make sure the goat house has very good ventilation for fresh air and light.
- All Saanen goats should be given proper initial vaccinations before entering into your farm.
- It is advised to have a veterinary doctor to examine the Saanen goats on regular basis.
- Pregnant goats, newly born Saanen kids should be provided with minerals and nutritious feed.
- Select quality Saanen male goats and good reproductive Saanen female goats for breeding.
- Pregnant Saanen goats should be given special attention for healthy kidding.
- Timely vaccinations in Saanen goats will reduce the mortality rate and result in great weight gain and milk production.
- Clean water and timely feeding is important in Saanen goat farming.
- Milking machinery and equipment should be kept clean to avoid any contamination.
- Isolate the sick Saanen goats from the goat flock as soon as possible.
- Making home grown silage will reduce the cost of feed in Saanen goat farming.
- Should act quickly with any unexpected diseases in Saanen goats.
- Saanen Goat kids should be given a special care to ensure sufficient food and milk till they attain certain age and weight.
- Milking the female Saanen goats twice a day is advisable especially before providing the fodder/feed.
- One should ensure better feeding and pasturing practices in Saanen goat farming.
- Have a proper plan of marketing Saanen goats. This plan should be prepared well before starting of Saanen goat farming.
Breeding in Saanen Goats: – If you are planning for commercial breeding of Saanen goats, it is better to consider various factors when planning the breeding cycle.
- Fodder/Feed flow and feed availability.
- Natural estrus cycle of the Saanen goats.
- Market cycle.
- Marketing date and personal management factors.
The reproduction rate of Saanen goats is one of the most beneficial characteristics for the milk producer. Saanen goats are very profile breeders. Twinning is very much common in this breed. There are various factors which affect the reproduction percentage of the ewes which are listed below.
- Damascus Goat Farming Information Guide
- Goat Fattening Information For Beginners
- Goat Farming In Punjab Information
- Spanish Goat Breed Profile Information
- Hydroponic Fodder System For Goats
- Goat Farming In Gujarat Information For Beginners
- Barbari Goat Farming Information Guide
- Anglo Nubian Goat Farming Information
- Goat Farming in Kerala For Beginners
- Goat Farming Set Up Information For Beginners
- Season of breeding.
- Age of Saanen goat.
- Body mass of Saanen
- Feed and nutrition.
Mass Mating in Saanen Goat Farming: – Find the mating ratio of male and female with local animal husbandry. (In most of the goat cases, it is 1 male (buck) per 25 to 30 does). One should make sure that the mating the young ewes happen separately from the mature ewes.
Single Mating in Saanen Goat Farming: – Find the mating ratio of male and female with local animal husbandry (In most of the breeds, it is 1 male (buck) per 20 to 25 females (does). With regard to the above, it is very important to keep male goats in small shady camps during hot periods with a small amount of growing supplement and Male Saanen goats should only be let loose among ewes during the evening. This system works particularly well in cases where goats are penned at night.
Artificial insemination in Saanen Goat Farming:- Well, there is an option for artificial insemination in any goat breeding. For artificial insemination in Saanen goats, contact local animal husbandry for more information.
Saanen Goat Housing:- Proper goat housing is very important and should be secured when you are going for stall fed Saanen goat farming. Wooden flooring is considered best for their house. The place selected for farming of Saanen goats should be dry and free from any insect-pests and predators. The shed/house floor should be cleaned daily to make the goat house hygiene. Proper ventilation and airflow should be maintained for preventing any diseases. Supply of clean water to prevent from diseases is essential in Saanen goat farming.
Saanen Goat Price:- Goat price depends on many factors like breed, age, season and region. However, commercial breeders can bargain for best price. The Saanen goats which are cross bred with local goats may cost less whereas pure bred goats cost more. If the goats are bought in flocks at local markets or in professional breeding centers, one can get cheaper prices. It is advised to buy from certified breeders. The following prices may change according to area, and time.
- Female goat price in India : Rs.300-350/kg (live weight) (pure breed).
- Male goat price in India/kg : Rs.300-325/kg (live weight) (pure breed).
- Goat kids of 1 year or less age: Rs.325-350/Kg (live weight) (pure breed).
Marketing of Saanen Goats:- A proper goat business plan should ensure the profits in goat farming. Commercial goat farmers should have marketing plan for bulk goat sale. Goat farmers can also sell their goats in batches based on their age, weight. Local agents, meat shop owners can be contacted for regular supply of Saanen goats.
- Garganica Goat Characteristics and Profile Information
- Pregnant Goat Care Information Guide
- Mehsana Goat Farming Information Guide
- Golden Guernsey Goat Characteristics, Profile, and Facts
- Broiler Goat Rearing Information Guide
- Dera Din Panah Goat Characteristics, Facts, Profile
- Hydroponic Fodder System For Goats
- Osmanabadi Goat Information Guide
- Zalawadi Goat Breed Profile Information
- Cashmere Goat Characterstics, Facts, Profile
Bottom Line of Saanen Goat Farming:- Saanen goat is an excellent breed for commercial milk production.