Jakhrana Goat Farming:
Introduction of Jakhrana Goat:- Jakhrana goat is a dual-purpose breed raised for meat and milk. Though it is a dual-purpose breed, most of the time it is considered as dairy bread because of good milking skill. This breed has been said to be originated in India. The home tract of this goat is Jakhrana village in alwar district of Rajasthan state in India. Jakhrana goats are similar to Beetal goat breeds, the major difference being that Jakhrana goats are longer. Apart from meat and milk production, the skin of these goat breed is useful in tanning industry.
Purpose of Jakhrana Goat Farming:- Milk and meat.
Jakhrana Goat Description:- Jakhrana is a large size goat with compact body. Coat colour of this goat breed is predominantly black with white spots on ears and muzzle. The hair on coat is short and lustrous. Goat face is straight with raised forehead. Both male goats and female goats will have horns. This breed ears are medium size about 16to 18 cm in length, leafy and dropping. This goat breed udder is large with large conical teats.
Jakhrana Goat Breed Characteristics and Performance:-
- Breeding Efficiency in Jakhrana goats is about 85%.
- Kidding Efficiency in Jakhrana goats is about 80%.
- Daily milk production: up to 3 kg/day.
- Lactation period: 180-200 days.
|Goat Size (Avg)||Jakhrana Male (Adult)||Jakhrana Female (Adult)|
|Body weight (kg)||57||45|
|Body length (cm)||84||78|
|Chest girth (cm)||86||79|
Advantages of Jakhrana Goat:- The following are the advantages of Jakhrana goat breed.
- Saanen Goat Farming Information Guide
- Aspromonte Goat Facts, Profile, and Characteristics
- Dairy Goat Breeds Information For Beginners
- Danish Landrace Goat Characterstics, Fatcs, Profile
- Goat Farming In Philippines – A Beginners Guide
- Pygmy Goat Care – 9 Things To Remember
- Meat Goat Farming Business Information
- Surti Goat Breed information Guide
- Sangamneri Goat Farming Information Guide
- Mehsana Goat Farming Information Guide
- Jakhrana goats are a multi-purpose breed (milk, meat and skin).
- Jakhrana breed has high feed conversion (FCR) ratio.
- Fat content and protein is good in Jakhrana goat milk.
- The matured Jakhrana goat can reach the weight of 58 kg (adult male) and 45 kg (adult female).
- This goat breed can also be fed with jack leaves and coconut oil cakes to help in gaining the weight.
- This Jakhrana breed will mature for first kidding at 18 months of age.
- The Jakhrana female goats give milk up to 2.5-3 kg/ day.
- The lactation period of Jakhrana goats is 180-200 days.
- Jakhrana goat breed has an excellent milk production skill.
- This Jakhrana goat breed is prolific and gives 1 kid at a time and twinning is common in 40 % of goat population. Sometimes you may expect triplets as well.
- For best growth milk production of Jakhrana goats, Alfalfa hay, Subabul, Lucerne, CO-3, CO-4, corn silage, pellets, legumes and various types of green grasses can be used for daily fodder requirement.
- These goats are suitable for both open grazing and stall-fed.
- These goat breeds are helpful in reducing un-employment in rural areas.
- These goats provide an excellent milk source for poor.
Jakhrana Goat Farming Tips:- The following tips are for Jakhrana goat farmers who wants to go for a small scale or large scale commercial goat farming business.
- Should prepare a proper goat farming business plan before implementing Jakhrana goat farming business.
- Before starting the farm, watch you tube videos and read any articles related to Jakhrana goat farming on the web.
- When you are planning for commercial Jakhrana goat farming, visit nearest farms to know ins and outs of Jakhrana goat characteristics and their management.
- Buy Jakhrana goats only from certified animal breeders and avoid buying from unknown individuals as this may bring many unhealthy animals into your farm.
- All Jakhrana goats should be given proper initial vaccinations before entering into your farm.
- It is advised to have a veterinary doctor to examine the Jakhrana goats on regular basis.
- Pregnant goats, newly born Jakhrana kids should be provided with minerals and nutritious feed.
- Select quality Jakhrana male goats and good reproductive Jakhrana female goats for breeding.
- Pregnant Jakhrana goats should be given special attention for healthy kidding.
- Timely vaccinations in Jakhrana goats will reduce the mortality rate and result in great weight gain and milk production.
- Clean water and timely feeding is important in Jakhrana goat farming.
- Milking machinery and equipment should be kept clean to avoid any contamination.
- Isolate the sick Jakhrana goats from the goat flock as soon as possible.
- Making home grown silage will reduce the cost of feed in Jakhrana goat farming.
- Should act quickly with any unexpected diseases in Jakhrana goats.
- Jakhrana Goat kids should be given a special care to ensure sufficient food and milk till they attain certain age and weight.
- Milking the female Jakhrana goats twice a day is advisable especially before providing the fodder/feed.
- One should ensure better feeding and pasturing practices in Jakhrana goat farming.
- Have a proper plan of marketing Jakhrana goats. This plan should be prepared well before starting of Jakhrana goat farming.
Breeding in Jakhrana Goats:- If you are planning for commercial breeding of Jakhrana goats, it is better to consider various factors when planning the breeding cycle.
- Fodder/Feed flow and feed availability.
- Natural estrus cycle of the Jakhrana goats.
- Market cycle.
- Marketing date and personal management factors.
The reproduction rate of Jakhrana goats is one of the most beneficial characteristics for the meat producer or milk producer. Jakhrana goats are very profile breeders. Twinning is possible 40% of cases. There are various factors which affect the reproduction percentage of the ewes which are listed below.
- Barbari Goat Farming Information Guide
- Goat Farming in Kerala For Beginners
- Goat Farming Profit Tips For Beginners
- LaMancha Goat Breed Information
- Goat Farming in Rajasthan Information
- Goat Farming In India – A Complete Guide
- Goat Fodder Information For Beginners
- Goat Feed Management Information
- Zalawadi Goat Breed Profile Information
- Goat Care Management Information
- Season of breeding.
- Age of Jakhrana goat.
- Body mass of Jakhrana
- Feed and nutrition.
Mass Mating in Jakhrana Goat Farming:- Find the mating ration of male and female with local animal husbandry. (In most of the goat cases, it is 1 male (buck) per 25 to 30 does). One should make sure that the mating the young ewes happen separately from the mature ewes.
Single Mating in Jakhrana Goat Farming:- Find the mating ration of male and female with local animal husbandry (In most of the breeds, it is 1 male (buck) per 20 to 25 females (does). With regard to the above, it is very important to keep male goats in small shady camps during hot periods with a small amount of growing supplement and Male Jakhrana goats should only be let loose among ewes during the evening. This system works particularly well in cases where goats are penned at night.
Artificial insemination in Jakhrana Goat Farming:- Well, there is an option for artificial insemination in any goat breeding. For artificial insemination in Jakhrana goats, contact local animal husbandry for more information.
Jakhrana Goat Housing:- Proper goat housing is very important and should be secured when you are going for stall fed Jakhrana goat farming. Wooden flooring is considered best for their house. The place selected for farming of Jakhrana goats should be dry and free from any insect-pests and predators. The shed/house floor should be cleaned daily to make the goat house hygiene. Proper ventilation and airflow should be maintained for preventing any diseases. Supply of clean water to prevent from diseases is essential in Jakhrana goat farming.
Jakhrana Goat Price:- Goat price depends on many factors like breed, age, season and region. However, commercial breeders can bargain for best price. The Jakhrana goats which are cross bred with local goats may cost less whereas pure bred goats cost more. If the goats are bought in flocks at local markets or in professional breeding centers, one can get cheaper prices. It is advised to buy from certified breeders. The following prices may change according to area, and time.
- Female goat price in India : Rs.250-275/kg (live weight) (pure breed).
- Male goat price in India/kg : Rs.280-300/kg (live weight) (pure breed).
- Goat kids of 1 year or less age : Rs.300-320/Kg (live weight) (pure breed).
Marketing of Jakhrana Goats:- A proper goat business plan should ensure the profits in goat farming. Commercial goat farmers should have marketing plan for bulk goat sale. Goat farmers can also sell their goats in batches based on their age, weight. Local agents, meat shop owners can be contacted for regular supply of Jakhrana goats.
- Indian Goat Breeds Information Guide
- Goat Buying Tips and Selection Tips
- Goat Farming In Nepal For Beginners
- Goat Farming In Philippines – A Beginners Guide
- Goat Farming in Pakistan Information
- Goat Farming In Punjab Information
- Peacock Goat Characteristics and Profile Infromation
- Broiler Goat Rearing Information Guide
- African Pygmy Goat Profile and Farming
- Goat Terminology and Identifying Sick Goats
Bottom Line of Jakhrana Goat Farming:- Jakhrana goat is an excellent breed for commercial goat farming, this can be reared for both milk and meat (dual) purpose.