Introduction to Golden Guernsey Goat Breed:
The following livestock information is about Golden Guernsey Goat Characteristics and Facts.
The Golden Guernsey Goat is a very rare breed. They are from the Bailiwick of Guernsey in the Channel Island. For the 1st time the breed Golden Guernsey Goat was brought to Great Britain in 1965 by Rudi Sweg. There is also a sub – breed known as British Guernsey, but the precise origin of Golden Guernsey Goat is unknown. On the Dolmon Island, the bones of the breed were found, so it is considered the native place of the breed. People believe that the Oberhasli goat breed and Syrian goat breeds are ancestors of Golden Guernsey Goat Breed. This breed is named after the country where it is found. This breed is capable of sustaining in all climates.
This breed is mostly developed from the local breeds like the Anglo – Nubia breed and Swiss breed. At first this breed was named as “Golden Goat”, but since it had a sub breed and was named as “British Guernsey”. So, later it was re-named as Golden Guernsey Goat.
Advantages of Golden Guernsey Goat Breed:
- The Golden Guernsey Goat is a dairy breed, producing huge quantities of milk.
- Butter fat and protein content in the milk is high and is considered excellent for preparing cheese.
- Milk of golden Guernsey goat contains 3.72 % of butter fat and 2.81 % protein in it.
- Milk is exported for the preparation of cheese.
- The milk and its by-products bring profits to the farmer.
- There is high demand for this breed and its milk in the market.
Characteristics of Golden Guernsey Goat Breed:
- This Golden Guernsey goat is medium in size.
- Coat of this breed is gold in colour.
- The coat length of this breed is small and is fine boned when compared to the other British goats.
- Sometimes, the bucks are horned.
- Most of the population of golden Guernsey is not horned.
- The nature of golden Guernsey Goat is very friendly.
- Height of a Golden Guernsey male Goat is 71 cm.
- Height of a Golden Guernsey female Goat is 66 cm.
- The average weight of the buck (male) is 68.18 kg.
- The average weight of the doe (female) is 54.54 kg.
- This breed is purposely reared for its milk.
Facts about Golden Guernsey Breed:
- On the rare breed watch list, this Golden Guernsey Goat Breed is classified as a Minority Breed.
- This breed is very strong, although it is fine-boned. It is smaller than other British goat breeds.
- Golden Guernsey Goat is very affectionate, intelligent, and also inquisitive.
- The colour of this breed ranges between pale – foxy red and the coat of this breed goat has short or long hair.
- The average milk yield of Golden Guernsey Goat is 1.7 liters per day and in general, it ranges between 1.14 – 3.41 liters.
- The milk is more efficient for making cheese and yogurt.
Feed for Golden Guernsey Goat Breed:
This breed easily adapts to stall feeding or free range feeding. For domestic goats green hay and alfalfa is best suitable diet. Gains should be included into feed in small quantities. Everyday clean and fresh water is to be provided for the goats. At short intervals, loose minerals should also be formulated for the goats.
Health Care of Golden Guernsey Goat Breed:
Sometimes, unfortunately goats would be affected with various worms and parasites. Occasionally the goats should be de-wormed. Medication for Deworming contemporarily is very safe for the goats. The goats should be vaccinated once in a year. The farmer should frequently consult veterinary doctor in case of doubt and severe illness in the goats. The normal body temperature of the goats is in between 38.5 – 39.7˚C. Normal respiration of a goat is 15 – 20 cycles in 29 minutes. The pulse rate of the goat is 50 – 155 in 83 minutes. Water troughs and feed troughs should be cleaned and refilled every 1 or 2 days.
- Goat Raising Basics and Practices for Dummies
- Changthangi Goat Farming Information Guide
- Goat Farming In India – A Complete Guide
- Angora Goat Farming and Characteristics
- Indian Goat Breeds Information Guide
- Goat Farming In Kashmir Information
- Tellicherry Goat Farming Information Guide
- Goat Farming Information For Beginners
- Goat Housing (Shed) Information Guide
- Dera Din Panah Goat Characteristics, Facts, Profile
Housing for Golden Guernsey Goat Breed:
While farming any goat breed, housing or shelter is very important. Like other domestic animals goat also needs housing for staying at night and sleeping. For protecting the goats from other adverse climatic conditions they are housed. There are many types of housing for goats, but the housings depend on the economic burden of farmers. There should be good ventilation, air inlet and outlet within the house or shelter. Feed troughs and water troughs should be adequate in number for all the goats.
- Nigora Goat Characteristics and Profile Infromation
- Goat Farming Business Plan Information
- Angora Goat Farming and Characteristics
- Sirohi Goat Breed Profile Information Guide
- Osmanabadi Goat Information Guide
- Goat Farming In Chhattisgarh Information
- Goat Farming In Gujarat Information For Beginners
- Sojat Goat Breed Information Guide
- Barbari Goat Farming Information Guide
- Goat Farming In Manipur Information
Breeding of Golden Guernsey Breed:
Breeding of this goat is artificially developed by crossing swiss breed or Anglo – Nubia breed. Some of the advantages and characteristics of both these breeds could be found in the Golden Guernsey Goat Breed.
Care and Bio Security of Golden Guernsey Breed:
Safe environment should be created for the goats inside the farm. The goats should be exposed to lush pasture where land mineral supplements with higher level of magnesium can be obtained. The goats should be secured from all kinds of predators, animals, and plants that are harmful. Goat house fencing should be tall enough, so that they stay inside and there would be no chance for any animals or predator to enter the farm from outside. Goats should be good and clean in appearance. Lukewarm water and mild soap are used to bathe the goats.
Tips for Golden Guernsey Goat Farming:
- While farming these goats, the farmers should have basic knowledge about the Golden Guernsey breed.
- Proper facilities and comforts should be provided to the Golden Guernsey goat breeds.
- Timely nutrients, measures to prevent diseases and treatment should be in proper time and with care.
- Strong housing should be constructed so that they stay safe in all climatic conditions.
- Before starting the farm, the farmer should learn some farming, management and caring techniques for that particular breed.
Read: Sarda Goat Profile.
Read: Meat Goat Farming.
- Sarda Goat Profile and Farming Information
- Kota Goat Farming (Karoli) Information Guide
- Goat Farming In Uttar Pradesh Information Guide
- Danish Landrace Goat Characterstics, Fatcs, Profile
- Alpine Goat Farming Information Guide
- Golden Guernsey Goat Characteristics, Profile, and Facts
- Irish Goat Information For Beginners
- Goat Feed Management Information
- Goat Farming Set Up Information For Beginners
- Khari Goat Farming Information Guide