Goat Farming in Saudi Arabia:
The following write up is all about Goat Farming in Saudi Arabia.
Importance of Goat farming in Saudi Arabia
Why should we go for goat rearing business? well, goat is a multi-facet animal produces milk, meat, and skin. Goat manure is also another money making component of goat farming. In Saudi Arabia, goat meat has an excellent demand and one can obtain decent profits with commercial goat-rearing business. Youth and some meat processing companies are rearing goats for meat in the middle east. Saudi Arabia’s demand for goat meat has increased to 1 million annually. This has created a bigger market for Zambian goats. Zambian goat population is about 4 million. This increased demand could push goat prices higher and creates an opportunity for farmers to expand their goat farming in Saudi Arabia. In olden days, most of the landless, marginal and small-scale farmers used to raise goats for their livelihood. However, that scenario is changed in developed countries where there is no space for grazing. In most of the developed countries, stall-fed goat farming is one of the best goat rearing methods. Goat meat does not have any religious taboo hence it is consumed by most of the people all over the world. Goat rearing plays a role in most of the national economies. Goat rearing business provides employment to local people in Saudi Arabia. For establishing a commercial goat farming in Saudi Arabia, you must have basic knowledge of goat management along with a good goat farming business plan. You can take goat training classes from goat breeding institutes and visit nearest goat farm units. Let us discuss more the goat farming in Saudi Arabia.
- Verata Goat Characteristics, Facts, Profile Information
- Dairy Goat Farming Information Guide
- Goat Farming In Odisha Information For Beginners
- Broiler Goat Rearing Information Guide
- Sangamneri Goat Farming Information Guide
- Argentata Dell‘Etna Goat Facts, Profile, and Characteristics
- Alpine Goat Farming Information Guide
- Goat Farming In Haryana Information
- Goat Farming In Maharashtra Information
- Zalawadi Goat Breed Profile Information
Advantages of Goat farming in Saudi Arabia
- Goat farming in Saudi Arabia needs less investment compared to other livestock business.
- Goats are easily manageable because they have small body size and due to docile nature hence they have fewer management problems.
- Goats do not require heavy infrastructure or housing unless you want to start on a commercial scale.
- Goats are social animals easily manageable around the people.
- Goats are prolific in natures and goats achieve maturity at the age of 10 to 12 months.
- The gestation period of goats is short, usually, they start producing milk at the age of 15 to 16 months depending on the stock breed.
- The animals in your farm multiply in short duration as they can give more than 1 kid in single birth (depending on the breed, twinning, triplets, and quadruplets are common).
- Goats are hardy animals can survive under any adverse climatic conditions.
- Goat rearing business has less risk in drought-prone areas as compared to other livestock animals.
- Unlike large animals in commercial farming, both male goat and female goat have equal value.
- These animals are ideal for mixed species grazing. Goats can feed on wide variety of thorny bushes, trees, weeds, crop residues, and agricultural by-products.
- Under proper livestock management, goats can improve and maintain grazing land areas. They can reduce bush encroachment in those areas.
- Goat meat is consumed all over the world without any problem.
- The goat meat (chevon) is a good source of protein and is low in cholesterol as compared to other red meat.
- Goat milk is easily digestible compared to cow milk. Goat milk has excellent health benefits over other milk.
- Goat farming in Saudi Arabia is 2 to 3 times more economical than sheep rearing on free range grazing under semiarid conditions.
- Goat farming in Saudi Arabia creates employment to youth and it has a ample scope for establishing cottage industries based on goat meat and milk products.
- The other advantage of dairy goat farming is, you can milk number times in a day thus goat is termed as walking refrigerator for milk.
- Slaughter operation, dressing operation and disposal of meat can be done without any environmental problems.
- Goat farming business makes a significant contribution to the livelihood of economically weaker sections of the country.
Management practices for Goat farming in Saudi Arabia
- Garganica Goat Characteristics and Profile Information
- Damascus Goat Farming Information Guide
- Goat Farming In Himachal Pradesh – A Complete Guide
- Spanish Goat Breed Profile Information
- Sarda Goat Profile and Farming Information
- Anglo Nubian Goat Farming Information
- Goat Farming In Kashmir Information
- Commercial Goat Farming Information Guide
- Arapawa Goat Facts, Profile, and Characteristics
- Peacock Goat Characteristics and Profile Infromation
1. Housing management for Goat farming in Saudi Arabia
- It is recommended to construct goat housing on a dry and elevated area.
- You should consider the site for a house which less prone to water-logging.
- The goat house can be built with multi-level as well.
- Goathouse flooring may be constructed of wood or cement.
- Goat housing size depends on a number of animals.
- Goat shed/housing roof may be built with asbestos sheets.
- Make sure the goat house has at least 10 feet high with good cross ventilation.
- Build individual pens in the house as Bucks (male goats) should be kept in individual pens.
- You can also build separate pens for newborn goat kids.
- Does (female goats) can be housed in groups up to 50 per pen.
- It is essential to provide proper shade and the cooling environment in summer.
- Make channels in the house to dispose of dung and urine properly.
- You must provide adequate space for each animal for free movement.
- Avoid overstocking the house or mixing with other animals in case of commercial goat farming in Saudi Arabia.
- It is recommended to build a feed room as part of the house for easy access to feed or fodder.
- Build a secured fence around the shed from preventing predators such s wild dogs, wolfs or any other wild animals.
2. Selection of breeding stock and their management
- After preparing a goat farming business plan, purchase the stock from certified breeders. Avoid buying the goats from individuals and local markets.
- Goats in good health and having good physical features must be purchased with the help of a veterinary professional.
- Buy goats which are of 10 to 11 months of age.
- It is recommended to purchase goats which are ready to breed and in prime stage of production.
- You should identify the newly purchased goats with suitable identification marks on them.
- Carry out required vaccinations on purchased animals against the diseases.
- You should keep the newly purchased goats under observation for about 15 to 20 days and then mix them with the general existing herd on the farm.
- Unproductive or sick or old goats should be culled promptly and should be replaced by the newly purchased goats.
- Goats to be bred at the interval of 8 to 9 months for maximum productivity.
- You should cull the old goats at the age of 6 or 7 year years and above.
- Make sure to avoid the kidding during peak summers and winters.
- Change the breeding buck for every 2 to 3 years.
Some of the Arabian goat breeds are given below.
- Aardi /Ardhi goats.
- Zumri goats.
- Hijazi goats.
- Zambian goats.
- Najdi goats.
3. Feeding management of Goat farming in Saudi Arabia
- If you are planning for open graze rearing, you must make sure Bushes/shrubs for browsing of goats.
- Homegrown fodder can be supplied for intensive goat farming in Saudi Arabia. You can make silage from home-grown crops and can use it in stall-fed goat rearing system.
- You must make sure the goats also get dry fodder as part of regular diet.
- Make sure that 2/3 rd of the animal energy requirements are met through roughages.
- Half of the roughages can be leguminous green fodders and the remaining half may be grasses or tree leaves.
- For goat fattening or along with green fodders, concentrate feeds must be considered in commercial goat farming in Saudi Arabia.
- Newly born goat kids should be fed with colostrum up to 5 to 6 days of age. After that, the kids can be put on goat kid starter feed rations.
- Green leguminous fodders may be given to goat kids from 2 weeks onwards.
- You should provide salt and fresh drinking water to kids at all time. You can get salt cubes/ mineral mix cubes in a market.
- You must ensure additional feeds and concentrated to bucks and does during the breeding season.
- It is recommended to meet the nutrient requirements for animal health and to gain weight.
|Feed ingredients||Goat kids feed (gm)||Growing goat feed (gm)||Lactating goat feed (gm)||Pregnant goat feed in (gm)|
4. Care and Health management of Goat farming in Saudi Arabia
- You must monitor all the goats in the house frequently for any abnormal activity such as reduced feed intake, limping, any discharges, fever, swollen abdomen, or any other unusual behavior.
- You must isolate the sick animals from the herd and seek the nearest veterinary aid.
- Your profits depend on controlling these goat diseases on the farm.
- Some diseases are contagious diseases, in this case, immediately segregate these goats from healthy goats and take necessary disease control actions.
- You must strictly follow Deworming schedule in goats on regular basis.
- Ensure to examine the faeces of adult goats to detect eggs of internal parasites. Consult a veterinary professional to treat these parasites.
- In stall-fed goat farming, make sure to provide clean water and uncontaminated feed.
- Stick to the recommended vaccine schedule for all the animals in the farm.
5. Breeding care Goat farming in Saudi Arabia
- You must plan the rearing to obtain at least 3 kiddings in 2 years by adopting optimal goat management practices.
- For every 25 female goats (does) 1 buck (male goat for breeding) should be provided in one breeding season.
- Make sure to breed the goats 12 to 13 hours after the onset of the first symptoms of heat for maximum conception rate.
- In cases, some goats may not be in breedable condition. Sell off those animals and replace them with new ones.
6. Care during pregnancy of Goat farming in Saudi Arabia
- In an advanced stage of pregnancy, the female goats must be kept in kidding pens or separately earmarked space for kidding within the main shed. Make sure to thoroughly disinfecting area where these animals are kept.
- After kidding, the doe (female goat) should be provided with warm bran mash for 2 days.
7. Goat kids care and management of Goat farming in Saudi Arabia
- Care must be taken to protect newly born goat kids by providing guard rails.
- Treat and disinfect the navel cord of goat kid with tincture of iodine.
- Additional care should be provided in extreme weather conditions and during initial 2 months after birth.
- You should dehorn the goat kids during first 14 days (2 weeks) of age.
- Make sure all the male goat kids are castrated for better quality meat production.
- Vaccination in goat kids should be carried as per the recommended schedule from your vet.
- Make sure to wean the kids at the age of 2 months (8 weeks).
- Ensure proper selection of goat kids on the basis of initial body weight and weaning weight should be initiated by maintaining appropriate records for replacing the culled adult goats as breeders.
- Additional feed should be provided for lactating goats
Equipment needed for Goat farming in Saudi Arabia
- Water Troughs.
- Feeding Troughs.
- Fencing material.
- Maintenance items.
- Milking equipment.
- Any automated goat management machines.
- Other equipment like chaff cutters or feed cutters.
Marketing of Goats in Saudi Arabia
- In goat farming business, you no need to worry about marketing, the marketable products of goat farming include the fattened kids, manure, culled goats. You must establish a marketing through slaughterhouses and individual meat consuming customers, and agriculture farms.
Read more about Goat Farming in Sri Lanka.
Read about Small Scale Dairy Farming.
- African Pygmy Goat Profile and Farming
- Sojat Goat Breed Information Guide
- Tellicherry Goat Farming Information Guide
- Cashmere Goat Characterstics, Facts, Profile
- Chamois Colored Goat Characteristics; Facts; Profile
- Mehsana Goat Farming Information Guide
- Goat Farming in Saudi Arabia Information
- Goat Farming Profit Tips For Beginners
- Damascus Goat Farming Information Guide
- Saanen Goat Farming Information Guide