Introduction to Goat Farming in Manipur
Today, let us talk about goat farming in Manipur.
This goat farming is being one of the popular occupations in India. It is the basic source of income for the unemployed farmers; they get their income from goat farming. This is one of the good employments for the farmers. For the farmers the agriculture will be a seasonal employment as the fruits and vegetable should be grown as per their proffered season. The farmers get high returns from goat farming. In India, the demand for the goats and also for their products is high. The meat lovers are also increasing the demand is also increasing. Goat products like meat, milk, fiber and manure also have high demand along with the goats.
For rural people, the goat farming plays a vital role in the socio – economic life. For the labour, landless and marginal farmers the goat farming will be a profitable business. The population which is considered approximately in Manipur is 11 Lakhs. The goat farming’s main motto is to propagate the conservation of goat farming and to propagate the good breeds. Comparing India with other countries the India is in the 1st position in goat farming. In Manipur, not only the native breeds are reared the neighbouring state native breeds are also raised.
Read: Goat Farming Cost and Profit.
Scope and Importance of Goat Farming:
In India, the goat population is estimated that it is 70.75 million. In the national economy of India the goat farming plays a major role. The goat farming in preliminary stages, it might be a small employment to the farmers. As the demand for the goats is increasing gradually the returns will also increase. When the meat lovers are increasing the goat farming business is also increasing. The investment for the business is also very low.
Loans and Subsidies for Goat Farming:
Goat farming business is one of the most profitable businesses in India. All over the world India is one of the largest producers of meat and milk. In case the farmer is economically back, then the farmers will get assistance from state and central government while setting up the goat farm. There are many schemes which are outlined as loans and subsidies for the farmer. The sanction of loans and subsidies are done after visiting the project size and also the region of the form.
About more information regarding the loans and subsides one can visit the banks like rural and co – operative bank or else they can also visit the official website of NABARD.
Goat Farming Role in Economy and Contribution:
Weed control: Goats consume the weed and this helps the farmer in controlling the weed.
Storage: A goat is capable of storing the milk in it for a long time. The goat milk can be milked numerous times. As it is a good storage of milk it is also called as demand in Walking Refrigerator.
Fiber or Skin: By using the fiber many products like wool, hair, pelts and hides can be prepared these will also give the farmers good returns.
Dung and Waste Material: The dung and the waste material should be collected at these also have high demands in the market, as this manure is used in agricultural farms.
Food: In the market the milk and meat also have high demand in our daily routine these are used exclusively.
Employment: For the farmers, those are less literate, low income farmers and unskilled will be employed.
Advantages of Goat Farming:
- In the market, goat milk has high demand.
- These goats are also called as social animals.
- Handling the goats is very easy.
- The goat gives us many products like meat, fiber, milk and manure. All these have high demand in the market.
- The investment in the goat farming business is a very low.
- As the digestibility of goats is in high level so they can h, and also be fed with any type of the crude, low quality of roughages.
- The diseases like asthma, cough and also the diabetes problem are cured by goat milk.
- Also the requirement of housing for the goats is also low.
- For very unit of investment the goats give back high returns to the farmers,
- These goats can be slaughtered in a very small age as it is one of the beneficial points for the farmers there are no need to wait for the growth of the goats.
Goat Breeds of Manipur:
- Manipuri Goat Breed
- Bengal Goat Breed
- Assam Hill Goat Breed
- Ganjam Goat Breed
Goat Feed Management:
The main source of energy for the goats is feed and also the feed for the goats play a major role in goat farming business. One should have the knowledge regarding the goats and their feed. The care towards pregnant goats and also the milch goats should be more than the other goats as per the season and also as well as goats age the feed keeps changing. Feed for the goats should be given as per age. Goats should be provided with feed timely and scheduled. Goats should be supplied with vitamin and minerals in appropriate amounts.
Pastures and Browsing.
Garden and Kitchen scarp.
Grass Fodders for Goats:
- Fodder Maize
Tree Fodders for Goats:
Concentrate Feed Ingredients for Goats:
- Dera Din Panah Goat Characteristics, Facts, Profile
- Dairy Goat Breeds Information For Beginners
- Nigora Goat Characteristics and Profile Infromation
- Golden Guernsey Goat Characteristics, Profile, and Facts
- Goat Farming In Punjab Information
- Commercial Goat Farming Information Guide
- Kiko Goat Farming Information Guide
- Tellicherry Goat Farming Information Guide
- Barbari Goat Farming Information Guide
- Goat Farming Cost and Profit Guide
- Groundnut cake
- Broken rice
Legume Fodders crops for Goats:
- Hedge Lucerne
Goat Housing Management:
For intensive production of Goat farming goat housing is very important. As goat requirements for housing are also very low. One should ensure goats comforts and facilities well as this will help the farmer to get good returns.
- In the goat farm good drainage facility should be arranged.
- Good ventilation is more required in the goat farm.
- The number of labour, which is required for the farm is also very less in number.
- The main motto of the housing for the goats is to protect the goats from harsh animals and also from the uneven climates.
- This house will also protect the animals from inoculated environmental stress.
- The floor, which is selected for the farm should not be slippery.
- And also the farm floor should always be dry.
- Construction of the housing should be done on a higher elevation so that no floods or any other natural disaster will affect the farm more.
- While constructing a farm we should leave some space for taking rest.
- The goat waste should also be collected in the farm.
- The goats should be severed with hot water in all the seasons as they are afraid of the cold water.
Basic Requirements of Housing:
- Milk Barns
- Food troughs
- Air inlet and outlet
- Good location of the sheds or housing
- Proper drainage facility
Goat Breeding Management:
The breeding plays a major role in goat farming business, the farmer will get maximum profits as the goat breeding will help in increasing the population in goat farm. The goats are capable of adapting themselves to any type of the climatic conditions.
There are two types of breeding techniques. They are:
- Natural insemination
- Artificial insemination
For commercial goat farming, the natural insemination doesn’t suit as it takes more time.
In commercial goat farming the artificial insemination is more suitable as it is a little cost efficient, but doesn’t take more time like natural insemination. It is mostly preferred for the commercial goat farming business.
- Appenzell Goat Facts, Profile, and Characteristics
- Sirohi Goat Breed Profile Information Guide
- Goat Farming in Bangladesh For Beginners
- Jakhrana Goat Farming Information Guide
- Goat Farming In Kashmir Information
- Goat Farming In India – A Complete Guide
- Beetal Goat Information Guide
- Dutch Landrace Goat Breed Profile, Characterstics
- Goat Housing (Shed) Information Guide
- Cashmere Goat Characterstics, Facts, Profile
The Gestation period of the goats is very short i.e. 150 – 155 days.
The breed can be identified by its temperature and bloodlines.
The perfect age of the breeding of female goats is 5 – 17 months.
For every 18 – 20 days interval the two heat cycles are repeated.
For ½ – 1 ½ ovulation period remains in goats.
The ratio of the goat should be in 1: 25 ratio, i.e. one male goat and twenty five female goats.
Timely mating is very important for successful fertilization in the goat.
|Season||Heating Season||Kidding Season|
|Summer Season||March – April||August -September|
|Rainy Season||June – July||November – December|
|Winter Season||October – November||January – February|
Goat Diseases Vaccinations:
Goats care should be taken carefully and it is also easily to take care of goats. The occurrence of diseases can be reduced by feeding good and appropriate quantity of food. Goats should get plenty of sunshine. The housing should also be clean we can reduce the occurrence of goats.
- For every 4 – 6 weeks trimming of hooves should be done regularly.
- The trimming of the hooves should never be neglected this might lead to a major loss.
- If there is any change in their physical appearance, then the farmer should consult the vet.
- If there are any symptoms of diseases we can see the illness like diarrhea, appetite, abnormal temperature, labored breathing and nose discharge.
- If we find any of these symptoms the farmer should consult a vet when needed.
- Foot and Mouth Diseases
- Peste Des Petits ruminants
- Goat pox
Ecto – parasitic infestations:
- Tick, lice etc
Endo – parasitic diseases:
- Fluke infection
- Foot rot
- Hemorrhagic Septicemia
Vaccinations for Goats:
For goat diseases, there are two types of vaccinations. They are:
- Cashmere Goat Characterstics, Facts, Profile
- Sojat Goat Breed Information Guide
- Sirohi Goat Breed Profile Information Guide
- Dairy Goat Farming Information Guide
- Goat Fattening Information For Beginners
- Goat Farming In Kenya Information
- Goat Diseases and Their Treatment Information
- Changthangi Goat Farming Information Guide
- Alpine Goat Farming Information Guide
- Peacock Goat Characteristics and Profile Infromation
- Live or Active vaccination
- Inactive Vaccination
This vaccine targets the organism directly; it targets the organism until the organism loses its virulence. But these are capable of holding and also retaining them to provoke the immune back to the target goat.
This vaccine is also called as dead vaccine. These vaccines target the goat directly targets it until it dies or loses the virulence completely. This vaccine is also capable of producing toxins, so these toxins are also called as toxoid inactivation. These will also help the goat to retain their immune back to themselves.
Goat Farming and Rearing Tips:
- Goat farm should also be hygienic.
- While trading the goats, they should be sold in good market where the returns are high and as well as where the demand for the breeds is high.
- Goats belong to the herd.
- If there is any necessary of equipments all those should be sorted in goat farm timely as per their requirement.
- Goats should be vaccinated regularly as per the season the prevention should be taken so that there will be no occurrence of diseases in goat farm.
- Goats are also called as social animals.
- The housing should be strong enough so that it can tolerate all uneven climatic conditions also.
- The goat should be kept in observation so that we can take prevention before the diseases attack the goat.
- Regularly we should observe the goat physical behavior and also if at all there is any change in their behavior and physical appearance, we should consult the vet.
- While starting a new farm, the one who is starting the farm should know the basic knowledge regarding the goats and farm.
- Goat caring should be done carefully so that the goat should be observed.
- Even while selecting the goat breeds some precautions should be taken.
- While purchasing, the goat we need to buy good goat which performs good breeding in the farm.