Dutch Landrace Goat Breed Profile Information
Here is the information of Dutch Landrace Goat.
Advantages of Dutch Landrace Goat Breed:
- The amount which is invested in Dutch Landrace Goat farming during the initial stages is very low.
- Problems with housing and management of goats are very less as Dutch Landrace Goat body is small in size.
- Disposition of Dutch Landrace Goats is very friendly, they are cheaper to maintain and good-natured.
- Occupation of Dutch Landrace Goat farming is more profitable and can be done either in small or large farms.
- Dutch Landrace Goats don’t need specified feed for consumption they thrive well by consuming shrubs, kitchen waste, leaves, bushes, grains etc.
- The meat of the Dutch Landrace Goat has more demand because it contains less fat.
- Agro- climate which ranges from arid dry to cold dry or hot humid is suitable for the survival of this breed.
- Dutch Landrace Goats can be raised in sandy zones, plains, hilly tracts and at high altitudes also.
- Aliments of Dutch Landrace Goats are very less and occur less frequently.
- The economic rate of goat is 2.5% more than the sheep rate.
Characteristics of Dutch Landrace Goat:
|Horns||Long, strong and unique.|
Medium in Size
|Buck Weight||80 lbs|
|Doe Weight||60 lbs|
|Climate Tolerance||All Types|
|Place of Origin||Netherlands|
|Ears||Erect ears on the sides of the head|
|The height of male goat||65 cm|
|The height of the female goat||60 cm|
|Lactation Duration||284 days|
|Gestation period||150 days|
Feeding requirement for Dutch Landrace Goat Breed:
In a successful goat farming business, feed management plays a major role. As the feed is very important for the goats’ breeds there should be a constant ratio of feed which should be fed to the goats. Timely feed should be given to the goats. The health and also the growth of the goat completely depends upon the feed, the feed which can be fed to the goats are:
- Vitamins: The vitamins which are essential for the goat must be provided along with the main feed.
- Minerals: For goats, we should offer to lose minerals. they should not be fed with blocks which are a combination of minerals.
- Kitchen Scarp: The kitchen scrap like tomato ends, banana peels, orange peels, and etc. like vegetable cutting and fruit waste. These can be consumed by the goats.
- Pasturing and Browsing: As pastures contain a high amount of nutrients, the goats require nutrient we should be feeding the goats with the pastures. Pastures are the main and important source of proteins and energy. These goats can be fed with millets, Bahia grass, clover, and Sudan grass.
- Hay: The hay that can be fed to the goats is grass, legume, like clover or alfalfa.
- Grain Feed: Along with the grains the goat can be fed with added proteins, vitamins and minerals. The goats can be fed upto16 – 20% course of grains. The grains that can be fed to the goats are cereal grains, rye, moil, barley, and oats.
- Sweet feed
- Human food
- Kelp Meal
- Black oil sunflower seeds
- Apple cider vinegar
- Loose minerals
- Beet Pulp
- Baking soda
The feed which shouldn’t be given to the goats are:
- Wild cherries
- Rhubarb leaves.
Housing for Appenzell Goat Breed:
Housing is very important in the intensive system of production. We should ensure the facilities and also the comforts for a maximum amount of profits. For their growth and products, the goats need some physiological requirement, same like human beings. The main motive of protecting the goats and keeping them in goat housing is to protect them from harsh animals and also from the uneven climatic conditions.
- Regularly the house should be cleaned and the floor should be dry.
- Goats waste should be collected immediately.
- The labor required for housing is also less in number.
- The goats don’t require bedding.
Basic requirements of the Goat Shed:
- Milk barns
- Food troughs
- Good location of housing/sheds
- Air inlet and outlet
- Proper drainage
Breeding for Dutch Landrace Goat:
Advantages of Goat Farming:
- The initial investment in goat farming is very less.
- The goats can survive in any climatic conditions and also they can survive in cold, dust, heat and also from any sharp change.
- Goat’s milk is the best food for the children and they will be not be affected, by any germs or any other viruses.
- There are many goat breeds that can be raised in any part of the world. There are capable of giving birth twice in a year.
- Goats are one of the strong animals, as they do not fall ill. We do not need to spend money on fitness and health of the goat.
Goat Farming Disadvantages;
- All the farmers use the traditional method and extensive method of goat farming system method, which brings the average rate of profits. But by using modern systems, this will give a good rate of profits to the farmer.
- The one, who is starting the goat farming business, should have a minimum knowledge of goat farming business. If there is any lack of knowledge this can lead to a loss in the goat farming business.
- If the farmer will not choose the right breed, there will be a great loss to the farming business.
- If the one who has started, the business has no experience, then we should a minimum experience in goat farming business.
- The marketing should be done well or less the farmer will be getting a loss.
- One of the toughest tasks is to take the goats for grazing.
- The goats are considered a risk part of agriculture. The one who is manages both the agriculture and goat farm will have to protect the crop from the goats.
Tips for Goat Farming Business:
- For improving the breed of the goats, we need to use the artificial inseminations. In commercial goat farming, artificial insemination is most preferred.
- While housing them the does, bucks and kids should be kept separately.
- The necessary medicines and vaccines should always be kept in stock.
- To ensure the good health of the goats as per the schedule timely vaccinations should be given.
- Mating of the same busk with many does should be avoided.
- As like polluted water is harmful to the human beings the goats polluted water is also harmful to the goats.
- One should always have a good relationship with the goats.
- For a few weeks, the kids that are born should be kept with their mothers.
Image source: Wikipedia.
Read: Goat Farming Business Plan.