Dera Din Panah Goat Profile Information
Introduction to Dera Din Panah Goat Breed:
This is a domestic goat breed, which is named as Dera Din Panah goat. The breed is native to the districts of Pakistan like Multan and Muzaffargarh districts. This breed is originated in Pakistan, as it is the native place of the breed. Dera Din Panah goat breed is one of the popular and largest populated goats in Pakistan. This breed is mainly reared for its milk.
Characteristics of Dera Din Panah Goat Breed:
|Breed Life||Average Life span|
|Buck Weight||61 kg|
|Doe Weight||40.9 kg|
|Climate Tolerance||All types of climates|
|Place of Origin||Pakistan|
|Coat texture||Silky coat|
|Buck: they are sometimes shorter than the doe ears.|
Doe: The color and coat texture are the same in color. They are long and twisted.
|The height of male goat||71 cm|
|The height of the female goat||64 cm|
|Lactation Duration||258 days|
|Milk Yield||2 – 2. 5litres (per day)|
|Gestation period||150 days|
Feed for Dera din Panah Goat Breed:
Hay: hay is one of the important sources of nutrients. The hay which is being fed to the goats should be of good quality. Weedy hay has a high amount of nutrients in it. The hays which can be fed to the goats are Lespedeza, alfalfa, and clover.
Pasture and Browsing: The pastures are also a good source of energy and also the nutrients. These goats contain a high amount of energy and also nutrients. These Pastures will improve the taste and also will improve the digestibility. The pastures that can be fed to the goats are like as follows grass, grain, millet, Bahia grass, millet, sorghum, and Sudan grass.
Vitamins: The vitamins which are required for the goats should be given like Vitamin c, vitamin D, and Vitamin E.
Minerals: The minerals which are required for the goats should also be given to the goats.
Grain Feed: The grains can be given to the goats. The goats can be fed up to 12 – 16 % of the course. By this grain feed, the weight of the goat can be increased. The goats can also be fed with cereal grains which are a good source of energy and carbons. Goats can also feed the creep feed as complementary. The grains that can be feed are barley, corn, moil, oats, and ryegrass.
Kitchen Scarp: The kitchen scrap like potato peels, tomato ends, orange peels, banana peels, garlic skins etc. can be fed to the goats.
Legume Fodder crops:
- Hedge lucerne
- Skimmed milk powder
- Rice polish
- Broken rice
- Groundnut cake
The feed that can be fed to the goats is as follows dog feed, cat feed, and paper.
Housing for Dera din Panah Goat Breed:
- The house should be constructed at a higher elevation so that the floods will not affect the house.
- The floor, which used on the farm, should also be dry.
- The drainage facility should be good on the farm.
- The goat house should dry and hygienic.
- Goat farm should get good ventilation.
- As the goats have the same requirements of human beings like growth and physical requirement so they need housing for their shelter.
- These goats should be protected from the harsh animals and also from the uneven climates that are inoculated with environmental stress.
- The number of laborers is very less for the goat farm set up and maintenance.
- The goat should get enough space so that they can take rest well.
- In the farm, the goat waste should also be collected on the farm.
- In every season, we need to give goat the warm water as the goats are afraid of cold water.
Basic Requirements of Goat Housing/Shed
- Proper drainage
- Food trough
- Milk barns
- Air inlet and outlet
- Good location for the farm/housing/sheds
- Food troughs
Breeding of Dera Din Panah Goat Breed:
This breed is originated from the local breeds of Pakistan.
Advantages of Goat Farming:
- The goats are good grazers and also do well in the range environment.
- Goats are caused very less to the aliments.
- The goats have well digestibility.
- The initial investment of the goat farming is very less.
- They can adjust to any type of climate.
- These goats do not have any religious taboos as they are accepted by all societies.
- The demand for the goat is very high.
- As well as, the goat products also has high demand.
Disadvantages of Goat Farming;
- The price of the wool is very less.
- If the goats are attacked by disease and parasites then the rate of presence will be high.
- One who is starting the business should have minimum knowledge regarding the goats.
- One of the toughest tasks for the farmers is to take the goat for the grazing.
- The goat marketing is also one of the toughest tasks.
Essential Tips of Goat Farming for Beginners:
- While buying goats, some precautions should be taken and while selecting the goat’s healthy goats should be selected.
- Before rising, the farmer should know the basics. A female goat is known as Doe, female babies are known as Doelings. The male goats are known as Bucks, male babies are known as Bucklings.
- Neutered males are known as Wether.
- Goats are known as social animals. These goats belong to the herd.
- The comforts and facilities for the goat must be effective and efficient.
- Housing for the goats should be constructed strong and good.
- Caring the goat properly by treatment, preventions, and timely nutrients.
- While rearing goats we should have some knowledge of rearing techniques.
- After removing the fleece from the goat, if they expose to cold climates they may fall ill, so they should be kept in warm conditions.
- At marketing time, the breeds should be traded in good markets.
- Goats should be facilitated with good facilities like water, feed, milk barn, fleece shearing barn, and proper drainage etc.