Danish Landrace Goat Breed Profile Information
Today, let us go through Danish Landrace Goat information.
Introduction to Danish Landrace Goat Breed:
This is one of the popular domestic goats which are mainly used for the production of milk. But this breed is also reared for the meat production and also like the pets. This breed is native to Denmark and it is named as Dansk Landrace. Later it was renamed as Danish Landrace. The Danish language is more popular in the Denmark so it is named as Danish Landrace.
Advantages of Danish Landrace Goat Breed:
- These Appenzell Goat Breed look little similar to the Saanen Goat Breed.
- The size of this goat breed is small in size.
- The colour of the wool is white.
- The face colour of this goat breed is white.
- These are hornless goat breeds.
- The buck height of this goat breed is 90 cm.
- The doe’s height of this goat breed is 80 cm.
- The average weight of the male goat is 80 kg.
- The average weight of the female goat is 58 kg.
- This goat is similar to the Saanen Goat Breed.
Characteristics of Danish Landrace Goat Breed:
|Horns||Medium length horns|
|Breed Life||Average life|
|Buck Weight||80 kg|
|Doe Weight||58 kg|
|Climate Tolerance||All type of climates|
|Place of Origin||Denmark|
Deep reddish – brown
|Coat texture||Silky with medium length|
|Ears||Tubular in shape.|
They stay erect from their head.
|Face colour||May colours|
|Height of male goat||90 cm|
|Height of female goat||80 cm|
|Beard||Both have beards for both the types|
|Lactation Duration||250 – 284 days|
|Gestation period||148 – 155 days|
Feed for Danish Landrace Goat Breed:
In a successful goat farming business, the goat feed management plays a major role. As the feed is very important for the goats’ breeds there should be a constant ratio of feed which should be fed to the goats. Timely and scheduled wise the feed should be given to the goats. The health and also the growth of the goat completely depends upon the feed, the feed which can be fed to the goats are:
- Vitamins: The vitamins which are essential for the goat must be provided along with the main feed.
- Minerals: For goats we should offer lose minerals. The feed which are individually those should be fed; they should not be fed with blocks which are combination of minerals.
- Kitchen Scarp: The kitchen scrap like tomato ends, banana peels, orange peels, and etc. like vegetable cutting and fruit waste. These can be consumed by the goats.
- Pasturing and Browsing: As pastures contain high amount of nutrients, the goats require nutrients we should be feeding the goats with the pastures. Pastures are the main and important source of proteins and energy. These goats can be fed with millets, clover, grass, Bahia grass, clover and Sudan grass.
- Hay: The hay that can be fed to the goats is grass, legume, like clover or alfalfa.
- Grain Feed: Along with the grains the goat can be fed with added proteins, vitamins and minerals. The goats can be fed upto16 – 20% course of grains. The grains that can be fed to the goats are cereal grains, rye, moil, barley and oats.
Housing for Appenzell Goat Breed:
Housing is very important in the intensive system of production. We should ensure the facilities and also the comforts for maximum amount of profits. For their growth and products the goats need some physiological requirement same like human beings. The main motive of protecting the goats and keeping them in goat housing is to protect them from harsh animals and also from the uneven climatic conditions.
- Regularly the house should be cleaned and the floor should be dry.
- Goat waste should be collected immediately.
- The labour requirement for the housing is also less in number.
- The goats don’t require bedding.
Basic requirements of the Goat Housing:
- Milk barns
- Food troughs
- Good location of housing / sheds
- Air inlet and outlet
- Proper drainage
Breeding for Danish Landrace Goat Breed:
The breeding of this goat breed is done with local breed and Saanen goat breed. We can find many similarities with Saanen goat breed.
Advantages of Goat Farming:
- The initial investment on the goat farming is very less.
- The goats can survive in any climatic conditions and also they can survive in cold, dust, heat and also from any sharp change.
- Goat’s milk is the best food for the children and they will be not be affected, by any germs or any other viruses.
- There are many goat breeds that can be raised in any part of the world. There are capable of giving birth twice in a year.
- Goats are one of the strong animals, as they do not fall ill. We do not need to spend money on fitness and health of the goat.
Disadvantages of Goat Farming:
- All the farmers use the traditional method and extensive method of goat farming system method, which brings the average rate of profits. But by using the modern systems, this will give a good rate of profits to the farmer.
- The one, who is starting the goat farming business, should have a minimum knowledge of goat farming business. If there is any lack of knowledge this can lead to a loss in the goat farming business.
- If the farmer will not choose a right breed, there will be a great loss to the farming business.
- If you don’t have a experience in raising goats, get some expereince by visiting near by goat farms.
- The marketing should be done well for good profits.
- One of the toughest tasks is to take the goats for grazing.
- The goats are considered as a risky part of agriculture. The one who is manages both the agriculture and goat farm will have to protect the crop from the goats.
Essential Tips of Goat Farming Beginners:
- For improving the breed of the goats, we need to use the artificial inseminations. In commercial goat farming, artificial insemination is most preferred.
- While housing them the does, bucks and kids should be kept separately.
- The necessary medicines and vaccines should always be kept in a stock.
- To ensure the good health of the goats as per the schedule timely vaccinations should be given.
- Mating of same busk with many does should be avoided.
- As like polluted water is harmful for the human beings the goats polluted water is also harmful for the goats.
- One should always have a good relationship with the goats.
- For a few weeks, the kids that are born should be kept with their mothers.
Picture source: Wikipedia.