Changthangi Goat Farming:
Introduction of Changthangi Goat:- The Changthangi breed also known as “Pashmina goat” and this goat breed is native to cold, arid region of Ladakh in Jammu and Kashmir, India. Generally, Changthangi goats are reared for their fine wool. However, they can even breed for meat purpose. These goats can survive in very cold temperatures and can live on grazing in open fields and hills. The wool collected from these goats is being used in making the famous Kashmir’s Pashmina shawls. These shawls made from fine wool of Changthangi breed are exported worldwide.
Purpose of Changthangi Goat Farming:- The main purpose of raising this breed is commercial production of wool. However, these can be reared even for meat purpose.
Changthangi Goat Description /Conformation:- These goats are medium sized animals with varying body coat colour from white to brown. Usually, most of the goats whole body is covered with Pashmina and long coarse hair. Changthangi goats have long face, convex head and short and straight ears. Both male and female Changthangi goats have horns with curved shape. Horns of these goats found in brown, black and white. This breed has short to medium tails.
Changthangi Goat Breed Characteristics and Performance:-
- These goats are very poor in milk production. On an average a female goat can produce 200 ml to 500 ml daily.
- Average age at first kidding Changthangi goat is 20 month and thereafter they kid once a year mostly singles.
- Single kidding is more common in 99% cases and twinning is very rare in Changthangi goats.
- Gestation period of Changthangi goats is 150 days.
- Pashmina yield per annum in Changthangi goats is about 80 grams at first clip, 150 grams at second clip, 230 grams at third clip, 200 grams at fourth clip and 210 grams at fifth clip.
|Goat Size (Avg)||Changthangi Male (Adult)||Changthangi Female (Adult)|
|Body weight (kg)||30||28|
|Body length (cm)||52||53|
|Body height (cm)||53||52|
|Chest Girth (cm)||66||65|
Advantages of Changthangi Goat:- The following are the advantages of Changthangi goat breed.
- Changthangi goats are a dual purpose breed (Wool and Meat).
- Changthangi goat breed has high feed conversion (FCR) ratio.
- This goat breed can also be fed with jack leaves and coconut oil cakes to help in gaining the weight.
- Changthangi goat kids are strong because mothers have high milk yield.
- These goats wool has very good demand locally and in export markets.
- For best growth milk production of Changthangi goats, Alfalfa hay, Subabul, Lucerne, CO 3, CO 4, Barseem, Stylo, Dashrath, Hybrid Napier, African Tall, Sorghum, Molato, Gini Grass, corn silage, pellets, legumes and various types of green grasses can be used for daily fodder requirement.
- Changthangi goats are suitable for open grazing.
- Changthangi goats can survive in very cool climates.
- Changthangi goats can easily adapt to any kind of climatic conditions.
- Changthangi goats are helpful in reducing un-employment in rural areas along with providing healthy and tasty milk.
Changthangi Goat Farming Tips:- The following tips are for Changthangi goat farmers who wants to go for a small scale or large scale commercial goat farming business.
- Should prepare a proper goat farming business plan before implementing Changthangi goat farming business.
- For breeding purpose, select the Changthangi goats primarily on body size.
- Before starting the farm, watch you tube videos and read any articles related to Changthangi goat farming on the web.
- Avoid any poisonous plants/ pasture/feed in the Changthangi goat farming.
- When you are planning for commercial Changthangi goat farming, visit nearest farms to know ins and outs of Changthangi goat characteristics and their management.
- Separate goat kids from adults immediately at birth and feed them pasteurized milk.
- Keep the Changthangi goat herd separated from sheep and cattle.
- Trim hooves at least four times yearly. Brush Changthangi goats when needed to remove loose hair and dirt that might contaminate the milk.
- Buy Changthangi goats only from certified animal breeders and avoid buying from unknown individuals as this may bring many unhealthy animals into your farm.
- For safety, make sure to have a fence around the goat farm/house.
- Make sure the Changthangi goat house has very good ventilation for fresh air and light.
- All Changthangi goats should be given proper initial vaccinations before entering into your farm.
- It is advised to have a veterinary doctor to examine the Changthangi goats on regular basis.
- Pregnant goats, newly born Changthangi kids should be provided with minerals and nutritious feed.
- Select quality Changthangi male goats and good reproductive Changthangi female goats for breeding.
- Pregnant Changthangi goats should be given special attention for healthy kidding.
- Timely vaccinations in Changthangi goats will reduce the mortality rate and result in great weight gain and milk production.
- Clean water and timely feeding is important in Changthangi goat farming.
- Milking machinery and equipment should be kept clean to avoid any contamination in Changthangi goat farming.
- Isolate the sick Changthangi goats from the goat flock as soon as possible.
- Making home grown silage will reduce the cost of feed in Changthangi goat farming.
- Should act quickly with any unexpected diseases in Changthangi goats.
- Changthangi Goat kids should be given a special care to ensure sufficient food and milk till they attain certain age and weight.
- Milking the female Changthangi goats twice a day is advisable especially before providing the fodder/feed.
- One should ensure better feeding and pasturing practices in Changthangi goat farming.
- Have a proper plan of marketing Changthangi goats. This plan should be prepared well before starting of Changthangi goat farming.
Breeding in Changthangi Goats:- If you are planning for commercial breeding of Changthangi goats, it is better to consider various factors when planning the breeding cycle.
- Fodder/Feed flow and feed availability.
- Natural estrus cycle of the Changthangi goats.
- Market cycle.
- Marketing date and personal management factors.
There are various factors which affect the reproduction percentage of the ewes which are listed below.
- Season of breeding.
- Age of Changthangi goat.
- Body mass of Changthangi
- Feed and nutrition.
Mass Mating in Changthangi Goat Farming:- Find the mating ration of male and female with local animal husbandry. (In most of the goat cases, it is 1 male (buck) per 25 to 30 does). One should make sure that the mating the young ewes happen separately from the mature ewes.
Single Mating in Changthangi Goat Farming:- Find the mating ratio of male and female with local animal husbandry (In most of the breeds, it is 1 male (buck) per 20 to 25 females (does). With regard to the above, it is very important to keep male goats in small shady camps during hot periods with a small amount of growing supplement and Male Changthangi goats should only be let loose among ewes during the evening. This system works particularly well in cases where goats are penned at night.
Artificial insemination in Changthangi Goat Farming:- Well, there is an option for artificial insemination in any goat breeding. For artificial insemination in Changthangi goats, contact local animal husbandry for more information.
Changthangi Goat Housing:- Proper goat housing is very important and should be secured when you are going for stall fed Changthangi goat farming. Wooden flooring is considered best for their house. The place selected for farming of Changthangi goats should be dry and free from any insect-pests and predators. The shed/house floor should be cleaned daily to make the goat house hygiene. Proper ventilation and airflow should be maintained for preventing any diseases. Supply of clean water to prevent from diseases is essential in Changthangi goat farming.
Changthangi Goat Price:- Goat price depends on many factors like breed, age, season and region. However, commercial breeders can bargain for best price. The Changthangi goats which are cross bred with local goats may cost less whereas pure bred goats cost more. If the goats are bought in flocks at local markets or in professional breeding centers, one can get cheaper prices. It is advised to buy from certified breeders. The following prices may change according to area, and time.
The price of Changthangi goats depend on weight, age and breed type (pure bread or cross bread).
- Male goat of Changthangi cost 325-350 Rs/kg (live weight).
- Female goat cost about 275-300 Rs/kg (live weight).
Marketing of Changthangi Goats:- A proper goat business plan should ensure the profits in goat farming. Commercial Changthangi goat farmers should have marketing plan for bulk wool/goat sale. Goat farmers can also sell their goats in batches based on their age, weight. Local agents, meat shop owners can be contacted for regular supply of Changthangi goats.
Bottom Line of Changthangi Goat Farming:- Changthangi breed is an excellent goat for dual- purpose commercial wool and meat production.