Anglo Nubian Goat Farming:
Introduction of Anglo Nubian Goat:- This breed is a multi-purpose breed developed in England by crossing British goats with bucks of African and Indian origin (Jamunapari). Anglo-Nubian goats are also called as “Nubian” and it is the best suited for dairy purpose and very well adapted to hot climatic conditions. Other best part of this breed is, the Anglo-Nubian goat has been used in grading-up programs in many tropical regions / countries to increase the milk and meat production of local goat breeds. Anglo-Nubian goat breed is not a heavy milk producer, but has a high fat content (about 4-5%) when compared to other dairy breeds. Usually, the Anglo-Nubian goat breeding season is much longer than other breeds. Anglo Nubian goats are available in white, black, brown or mixed with various colors. Anglo Nubian goats can tolerate high temperature and frequent change of weather. However, these goats become more productive in hot climatic conditions.
Purpose of Anglo Nubian Goat Farming:- It is a multi-purpose breed (Milk, meat and skin / fur).
Anglo Nubian Goat Description:- The Anglo Nubian goat breed is usually a large size animals with fine skin, glossy coat, long pendulous ears and Roman nose and forehead. They have long legs with short hair on coat. Tropical and hot climatic conditions favors for this goat breed. Generally, horns when present lie flat over the coat of the goat. These goats have large size udder and pendulous with bigger teats.
Anglo Nubian Goat Breed Characteristics and Performance:-
- There are usually 2 kids in a litter of Anglo Nubian goat.
- Height of male and female Anglo Nubian goat is about: 80 cm to 100 cm.
- Kidding Efficiency in Anglo Nubian goats is about 85%.
- Daily average milk production is up to 3.5 liters/day. At peak lactation, they may give up to 5 liters/day.
- Lactation period of Anglo Nubian goat is: 180-200 days.
|Goat Size (Avg)||Anglo Nubian Male (Adult)||Anglo Nubian Female (Adult)|
|Body weight (kg)||65-80||50-60|
Advantages of Anglo Nubian Goat:- The following are the advantages of Anglo Nubian goat breed.
- Anglo Nubian goat is a multi-purpose breed (milk, meat and fur/skin).
- Anglo Nubian goat breed has high feed conversion (FCR) ratio.
- Fat content is good in Anglo Nubian goat milk.
- The matured Anglo Nubian goat can reach the weight of 80 kg (adult male) and 60 kg (adult female).
- This goat breed can also be fed with jack leaves and coconut oil cakes to help in gaining the weight.
- This Anglo Nubian breed will mature for first kidding at 18 months of age.
- The Anglo Nubian female goats give milk up to 3.5 liters/ day (At peak lactation, they may give up to 5 liters/day).
- The lactation period of Anglo Nubian goats is 180-200 days.
- Anglo Nubian goat breed is a good milk production skill.
- This Anglo Nubian goat breed gives 2 kids at a time. Sometimes you may expect triplets as well.
- For best body growth and milk production of Anglo Nubian goats, Alfalfa hay, Subabul, Lucerne, CO-3, CO-4, any hybrid grass, corn silage, pellets, legumes and various types of green grasses can be used for daily fodder requirement.
- These goats are suitable for both open grazing and stall-fed.
- Anglo Nubian goats can easily adapt to any kind of weather.
- These goat breeds are helpful in reducing un-employment in rural areas.
- These goats provide an excellent milk, meat and fur source for poor.
Anglo Nubian Goat Farming Tips:- The following tips are for Anglo Nubian goat farmers who wants to go for a small scale or large scale commercial goat farming business.
- Should prepare a proper goat farming business plan before implementing Anglo Nubian goat farming business.
- Before starting the farm, watch you tube videos and read any articles related to Anglo Nubian goat farming on the web.
- When you are planning for commercial Anglo Nubian goat farming, visit nearest farms to know ins and outs of Anglo Nubian goat characteristics and their management.
- Separate goat kids from adults immediately at birth and feed them pasteurized milk.
- Keep the Anglo Nubian goat herd separated from sheep and cattle.
- Trim hooves at least four times yearly. Brush Anglo Nubian goats when needed to remove loose hair and dirt that might contaminate the milk.
- Buy Anglo Nubian goats only from certified animal breeders and avoid buying from unknown individuals as this may bring many unhealthy animals into your farm.
- All Anglo Nubian goats should be given proper initial vaccinations before entering into your farm.
- It is advised to have a veterinary doctor to examine the Anglo Nubian goats on regular basis.
- Pregnant goats, newly born Anglo Nubian kids should be provided with minerals and nutritious feed.
- Select quality Anglo Nubian male goats and good reproductive Anglo Nubian female goats for breeding.
- Pregnant Anglo Nubian goats should be given special attention for healthy kidding.
- Timely vaccinations in Anglo Nubian goats will reduce the mortality rate and result in great weight gain and milk production.
- Clean water and timely feeding is important in Anglo Nubian goat farming.
- Milking machinery and equipment should be kept clean to avoid any contamination.
- Isolate the sick Anglo Nubian goats from the goat flock as soon as possible.
- Making home grown silage will reduce the cost of feed in Anglo Nubian goat farming.
- Should act quickly with any unexpected diseases in Anglo Nubian goats.
- Anglo Nubian Goat kids should be given a special care to ensure sufficient food and milk till they attain certain age and weight.
- Milking the female Anglo Nubian goats twice a day is advisable especially before providing the fodder/feed.
- One should ensure better feeding and pasturing practices in Anglo Nubian goat farming.
- Have a proper plan of marketing Anglo Nubian goats. This plan should be prepared well before starting of Anglo Nubian goat farming.
Breeding in Anglo Nubian Goats:- If you are planning for commercial breeding of Anglo Nubian goats, it is better to consider various factors when planning the breeding cycle.
- Fodder/Feed flow and feed availability.
- Natural estrus cycle of the Anglo Nubian goats.
- Market cycle.
- Marketing date and personal management factors.
The reproduction rate of Anglo Nubian goats is one of the most beneficial characteristics for the meat producer or milk producer. Anglo Nubian goats are very profile breeders. Twinning is possible 40% of cases. There are various factors which affect the reproduction percentage of the ewes which are listed below.
- Season of breeding.
- Age of Anglo Nubian goat.
- Body mass of Anglo Nubian
- Feed and nutrition.
Mass Mating in Anglo Nubian Goat Farming:- Find the mating ration of male and female with local animal husbandry. (In most of the goat cases, it is 1 male (buck) per 25 to 30 does). One should make sure that the mating the young ewes happen separately from the mature ewes.
Single Mating in Anglo Nubian Goat Farming:- Find the mating ration of male and female with local animal husbandry (In most of the breeds, it is 1 male (buck) per 20 to 25 females (does). With regard to the above, it is very important to keep male goats in small shady camps during hot periods with a small amount of growing supplement and Male Anglo Nubian goats should only be let loose among ewes during the evening. This system works particularly well in cases where goats are penned at night.
Artificial insemination in Anglo Nubian Goat Farming:- Well, there is an option for artificial insemination in any goat breeding. For artificial insemination in Anglo Nubian goats, contact local animal husbandry for more information.
Anglo Nubian Goat Housing:- Proper goat housing is very important and should be secured when you are going for stall fed Anglo Nubian goat farming. Wooden flooring is considered best for their house. The place selected for farming of Anglo Nubian goats should be dry and free from any insect-pests and predators. The shed/house floor should be cleaned daily to make the goat house hygiene. Proper ventilation and airflow should be maintained for preventing any diseases. Supply of clean water to prevent from diseases is essential in Anglo Nubian goat farming.
Anglo Nubian Goat Price:- Goat price depends on many factors like breed, age, season and region. However, commercial breeders can bargain for best price. The Anglo Nubian goats which are cross bred with local goats may cost less whereas pure bred goats cost more. If the goats are bought in flocks at local markets or in professional breeding centers, one can get cheaper prices. It is advised to buy from certified breeders. The following prices may change according to area, and time.
- Female goat price in India : Rs.250-275/kg (live weight) (pure breed).
- Male goat price in India/kg : Rs.280-300/kg (live weight) (pure breed).
- Goat kids of 1 year or less age : Rs.300-320/Kg (live weight) (pure breed).
Marketing of Anglo Nubian Goats:- A proper goat business plan should ensure the profits in goat farming. Commercial goat farmers should have marketing plan for bulk goat sale. Goat farmers can also sell their goats in batches based on their age, weight. Local agents, meat shop owners can be contacted for regular supply of Anglo Nubian goats.
Bottom Line of Anglo Nubian Goat Farming:- This breed is an excellent for commercial goat farming as these goats can be reared for multi-purpose (For meant, milk and fur / skin).