Khari Goat Guide:
Introduction of Khari Breed: – Well, Khari goats are native to Nepal and these goats are prolific and hardy in nature and mainly raised for meat purpose. This breed is widely spread across Nepal and represents 50% of total goat population in Nepal. Khari goats are distributed in hills and inner valleys.
Purpose:– Mainly reared for meat production.
Khari Goat Description /Conformation:- These goats are very well adaptable to local environments. These goats have small body size when compared to other goat breeds. When it comes to coat colour, they occur various colors such as, Seti (White), Khairi (Brown), Kali (Black), Ghorli (Brown mixed with other colours), Singari (Black with white markings) and Dhobini (White with black markings). Both male and female goats horns along with short ears and tails. Once can expect a body weight of adult Khari goat from 20 to 45 kg.
- Khari goats are a promising breed due to their high prolificacy (1.7 kids) and low kidding interval (280 to 290 days).
- Twinning is possible.
- Kidding Interval is about 280 to 290 days.
- Prolificacy of 1.6 to 1.7 kids can be expected.
|Goat Body length (cm)||63|
|Goat Heart girth (cm)||65|
|Goat Height at wither (cm)||56|
|Goat Ear length (cm)||16|
|Goat Tail length (cm)||12|
|Adult male weight (kg)||30-40|
|Goat Adult Female weight (kg||25|
Advantages of Khari Goat:- The following are the advantages of Khari goat breed.
- Low Kidding Interval and high prolific.
- Easily adaptable to local environments.
- Khari goats are hardy and disease resistant breeds.
- Khari goat breed has high feed conversion (FCR) ratio.
- Khari goats can also be fed with jack leaves and coconut oil cakes along with silage to help in gaining the weight.
- For best growth of Khari goats, Alfalfa hay, Sorghum, Molato, Gini Grass, corn silage, pellets, legumes and various types of green grasses can be used for daily fodder requirement.
- Khari goats are suitable for both open grazing and stall feeding.
- Khari goats are helpful in reducing un-employment in rural areas because of their excellent milk production skills.
- Should prepare a proper goat farming business plan before implementing Khari goat farming business.
- For breeding purpose, select the Khari goats primarily on body size.
- Before starting the Khari goat farm, watch you tube videos and read any articles related to Khari goat farming on the web.
- Avoid any poisonous plants/ pasture/feed in the Khari goat farming.
- When you are planning for commercial Khari goat farming, visit nearest farms to know ins and outs of Khari goat characteristics and their management.
- Separate goat kids from adults immediately at birth and feed them pasteurized milk.
- Keep the Khari goat herd separated from sheep and cattle.
- Trim hooves at least four times yearly. Brush Khari goats when needed to remove loose hair and dirt that might contaminate the milk.
- Buy Khari goats only from certified animal breeders and avoid buying from unknown individuals as this may bring many unhealthy animals into your farm.
- For safety, make sure to have a fence around the goat farm/house.
- Make sure the Khari goat house has very good ventilation for fresh air and light.
- All Khari goats should be given proper initial vaccinations before entering into your farm.
- It is advised to have a veterinary doctor to examine the Khari goats on regular basis.
- Pregnant goats, newly born Khari kids should be provided with minerals and nutritious feed.
- Select quality Khari male goats and good reproductive Khari female goats for breeding.
- Pregnant Khari goats should be given special attention for healthy kidding.
- Timely vaccinations in Khari goats will reduce the mortality rate and result in great weight gain and milk production.
- Clean water and timely feeding is important in Khari goat farming.
- Milking machinery and equipment should be kept clean to avoid any contamination in Khari goat farming.
- Isolate the sick Khari goats from the goat flock as soon as possible.
- Making home grown silage will reduce the cost of feed in Khari goat farming.
- Should act quickly with any unexpected diseases in Khari goats.
- Khari Goat kids should be given a special care to ensure sufficient food and milk till they attain certain age and weight.
- Milking the female Khari goats twice a day is advisable especially before providing the fodder/feed.
- One should ensure better feeding and pasturing practices in Khari goat farming.
- Have a proper plan of marketing Khari goats and their milk. This plan should be prepared well before starting of Khari goat farming.
Breeding in Khari Goats: – If you are planning for commercial breeding of Khari goats, it is better to consider various factors when planning the breeding cycle.
- Fodder/Feed flow and feed availability.
- Natural estrus cycle of the Khari goats.
- Market cycle.
- Marketing date and personal management factors.
There are various factors which affect the reproduction percentage of the ewes which are listed below.
- Season of breeding.
- Age of Khari goat.
- Body mass of Khari
- Feed and nutrition.
Mass Mating in Khari Goat Farming:- Find the mating ration of male and female with local animal husbandry. (In most of the goat cases, it is 1 male (buck) per 25 to 30 does). One should make sure that the mating the young ewes happen separately from the mature ewes.
Single Mating in Khari Goat Farming:- Find the mating ratio of male and female with local animal husbandry (In most of the breeds, it is 1 male (buck) per 20 to 25 females (does). With regard to the above, it is very important to keep male goats in small shady camps during hot periods with a small amount of growing supplement and Male Khari goats should only be let loose among ewes during the evening. This system works particularly well in cases where goats are penned at night.
Artificial insemination in Khari Goat Farming:- Well, there is an option for artificial insemination in any goat breeding. For artificial insemination in Khari goats, contact local animal husbandry for more information.
Khari Goat Housing:- Proper goat housing is very important and should be secured when you are going for stall-fed Khari goat farming. Wooden flooring is considered best for their house. The place selected for farming of Khari goats should be dry and free from any insect-pests and predators. The shed/house floor should be cleaned daily to make the goat house hygiene. Proper ventilation and airflow should be maintained for preventing any diseases. Supply of clean water to prevent from diseases is essential in Khari goat farming.
For Goat Shed or Housing Info: Click here.
Khari Breed Goat Price:- Goat price depends on many factors like breed, age, season and region. However, commercial breeders can bargain for best price. The Khari goats which are cross bred with local goats may cost less whereas pure bred goats cost more. If the goats are bought in flocks at local markets or in professional breeding centers, one can get cheaper prices. It is advised to buy from certified breeders. Generally one can get 250 to 275 INR/kg live weight.
Marketing of Khari Goats:- A proper goat business plan should ensure the profits in goat farming. Commercial Khari goat farmers should have marketing plan for bulk goat sale. Goat farmers can also sell their goats in batches based on their age, weight. Local agents, meat shop owners can be contacted for regular supply of Khari goats.
Bottom Line:- This breed is an excellent breed for commercial meat production.